• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best Meds for Deep Sleep

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
The people that benefit from sleep meds generally are people who dont get much sleep at all. For these people quantity of sleep is increased, this is better then no sleep. SO i think if one is after quality, need to keep looking and trial and error. With a full blown insomniac more sleep helps and is better than no sleep.

outdamnspot

I didn't wanna start a new thread to ask this but I've been wondering if anyone with adrenal issues find that they can take antihistamines to sleep? I have to be very careful, as even things like Magnesium, Melatonin etc. lower my cortisol too much; yet, trying to get to sleep with 'adrenal fatigue' can be impossible some nights due to a deranged sympathetic system.

I know cyproheptadine lowers cortisol, which I'll avoid, but does anyone know if other antihistamines like Doxylamine are safe in this case?

Kenshin

For years I've searched for a medication for my insomnia,
after trying a plethora of pharmecueticals and herbs I only found one that really works -
Amytriptaline 20mg - 50mg. Works like a charm.

Without it I basically don't sleep, I toss and turn in pain all night.
The amytriptaline does nothing for my pain, but it does allow me to sleep through it.

The problem is I don't want to take a synthetic drug long term, particularly as its an antideppressant. (I have been assured that amytriptaline does not act as an antideppressants at doses lower than 50mg, but still.)

Also I have read about many bad side effects of the drug on this forum.

So I'm looking for an alternative, prefferably something herbal, though this is unlikely to be potent enough for my insomnia, second choice would be a pharmecuetical that is not an antideppressant.

*GG*

For years I've searched for a medication for my insomnia,
after trying a plethora of pharmecueticals and herbs I only found one that really works -
Amytriptaline 20mg - 50mg. Works like a charm.

Without it I basically don't sleep, I toss and turn in pain all night.
The amytriptaline does nothing for my pain, but it does allow me to sleep through it.

The problem is I don't want to take a synthetic drug long term, particularly as its an antideppressant. (I have been assured that amytriptaline does not act as an antideppressants at doses lower than 50mg, but still.)

Also I have read about many bad side effects of the drug on this forum.

So I'm looking for an alternative, prefferably something herbal, though this is unlikely to be potent enough for my insomnia, second choice would be a pharmecuetical that is not an antideppressant.

I was recently prescribed Amitryptiline, low dosages did not work for me, Max dosage of 150 mg made me feel groggy to long the next day. I have been on Remeron since 2009, but often take max dosage of that, so worked with my Dr on alternating what meds I take for my sleep. Want to try Nortryptiline, perhaps the side effects will not be so bad?

I am not concerned with synthetic drugs for sleep, I feel much better with good sleep, not great or healthy like before, but do not typically wake up feeling so Unrefreshed as in the past!

GG

frozenborderline

I didn't wanna start a new thread to ask this but I've been wondering if anyone with adrenal issues find that they can take antihistamines to sleep? I have to be very careful, as even things like Magnesium, Melatonin etc. lower my cortisol too much; yet, trying to get to sleep with 'adrenal fatigue' can be impossible some nights due to a deranged sympathetic system.

I know cyproheptadine lowers cortisol, which I'll avoid, but does anyone know if other antihistamines like Doxylamine are safe in this case?
does cyproheptadine necessarily lower cortisol, or just regulate it? if it lowers it I probably shouldn't be on it for sleep but I am...

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
does cyproheptadine necessarily lower cortisol, or just regulate it? if it lowers it I probably shouldn't be on it for sleep but I am...

Some of these substances i thing only lower cortisol that is high, possibly through their calmitive actions but not necessarily directly but indirectly, which id think would have little impact on a normal or low cortisol level???

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I take certerizine And loratadine alternate nights- they do help make you drowsy not sure if they help sleep as I take half a Zopiclone as well. But no harm in trying them. If I want a big hit I take AH diphenhydramine, but this is very addictive and only for very occasional use.ie when desperate

TenuousGrip

If I want a big hit I take AH diphenhydramine, but this is very addictive and only for very occasional use.ie when desperate

I would never try to convince you to take a medicine that you're uncomfortable taking but diphenydramine is generally considered fairly safe and as having a very low potential for addiction (other than when abused as a recreational drug).

I only add this because it does help a lot of people sleep better.

perrier

I LOVE oleamide! I think it is one of the most underused supplements.

It replicates natural sleep, which is more than you can say for most sleep meds.

I use CBD as well, but would like to stop because of the cost.
Dear Ema
What kind of Oleamide do you use? Amazon sells the powder. I have seen studies about the injection. I am desperately looking for some supplement to help with sleep.
How long have you used this? Any info most welcome.

Ema

Dear Ema
What kind of Oleamide do you use? Amazon sells the powder. I have seen studies about the injection. I am desperately looking for some supplement to help with sleep.
How long have you used this? Any info most welcome.
I use the LiftMode. I think you can buy it on Amazon but it might be cheaper on their site.

I've used it for more than a year. I don't take it every night, but many nights. I also like that I can take it even as late as 4AM without feeling groggy the next morning.

It doesn't pull you into sleep like a benzo would. You still have to practice good sleep hygiene habits. I wear blue blockers at night and use the whole sleep "cocktail" detailed on this page. That was where I first learned of oleamide.

perrier

I use the LiftMode. I think you can buy it on Amazon but it might be cheaper on their site.

I've used it for more than a year. I don't take it every night, but many nights. I also like that I can take it even as late as 4AM without feeling groggy the next morning.

It doesn't pull you into sleep like a benzo would. You still have to practice good sleep hygiene habits. I wear blue blockers at night and use the whole sleep "cocktail" detailed on this page. That was where I first learned of oleamide.
jThanks Ema, this will be tried. For sure. As for niacinimide, it can cause flushing, I believe.

dreamydays

Another drug to try is clonidine, it basically calms the sympathetic nervous system down. CBD oil is good but only if its high quality and you cycle its use. I have also used the body building supplement YK-11 which is similar to testosterone and MK-677 which raises growth hormone which is essential for deep sleep. Enerphos is a supplement which lowers cortisol which can help get to sleep and not wake up so much. There is a melatonin alternative called ramelteon which is another option. Finally the immune stimulant Transfer Factor Plus helps me get to sleep but is pretty strong stuff.