• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best health books?

howirecovered

If you were to recommend just a couple health books to a friend with chronic fatigue or some other mystery illness, what books would you recommend?

Tammy

Medical Medium Secrets Behind Chronic and Mystery illness and How to Finally Heal by Anthony William.

Carl

Increased Intestinal Permeability aka Leaky Gut Syndrome - The Science of Achieving Digestive Health by Case Adams Ph.D.

It's good at the background info and it has some very useful information about how the digestive system is formed but the the actual proposed fixes are not enough to solve the problem. The recommended herbs do have merit but they are not enough to fix the problem. Still far better than anything that I have seen on this forum and on the internet. Everyone gets it very wrong! L-Glutamine does not work and is useless and so are all the other commonly recommended "Leaky Gut" fixes.

BTW I prefer Increased Digestive Permeability Syndrome [IDPS] because it is a more true representation of where the problem(s) lie.

Herbal Antibiotics - Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug-Resistant Bacteria 2nd Ed by Stephen Harrod Buhner - is a very good book and far more likely to fix IDPS.

I also recommend Toni Bernhard's "How to be Sick". Another book I found good, especially when I was pretty sick and looking for some gentle things I could do, is "The Healer Within - Using Traditional Chinese Techniques to Release Your Body's own Medicine", by Roger Jahnke. This book uses gentle movement, self massage, meditation and breathing practices.

Wishful

Since there aren't any proven treatments for ME/CFS, and the general health recommendations (improving gut health, etc) are as likely to worsen symptoms as to reduce them, someone ill might be better off with recommendations for pleasurable reading to just take their mind off being ill. I can't think of a health book that has improved my life. Plenty of good-reading books have at least made my days a bit less awful.

howirecovered

Medical Medium Secrets Behind Chronic and Mystery illness and How to Finally Heal by Anthony William.
I’ve seen his name a few times but when i started looking into his book i saw he calls liver flushing a quack therapy. That’s a deal breaker for me...

If he’s helped you though, that’s what counts. Everyone’s advice is good for someone :D

howirecovered

Since there aren't any proven treatments for ME/CFS, and the general health recommendations (improving gut health, etc) are as likely to worsen symptoms as to reduce them, someone ill might be better off with recommendations for pleasurable reading to just take their mind off being ill. I can't think of a health book that has improved my life. Plenty of good-reading books have at least made my days a bit less awful.
I can identify with that!! Also i do a lot of pleasure reading - sometimes it causes me to go to bed too late too, so it can be detrimental to health if it’s too good lol,

Health books can hurt you too, particularly vitamin guides because everything sounds wonderful, but if it’s not the right supplement for me, right now, it can cause harm or even tragedy.

Tammy

I’ve seen his name a few times but when i started looking into his book i saw he calls liver flushing a quack therapy. That’s a deal breaker for me...
Not trying to convince you of anything.............but would just like to clarify: Anthony is very much for cleansing the liver. He talks about how important it is all the time. Talks about methylation also which is a liver problem. The liver plays such an important part for healing.......so much so that he just finished a book solely on healing the liver which will come out in November. That's how important he thinks it is. The popular liver/gallbladder flushes where they show all the gallstones that a person can get out is what he doesn't believe in. He says they aren't really gallstones. Just wanted to clarify.

Last edited: