• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ben Goldacre: checking if clinical trials reported what they said they would

actup

To add to your comment, I ask readers to look at this http://davidhealy.org/fucked/ (sorry mods if this language is inappropriate)

BONUS FEATURE; Ben Goldacre calling another campaign for transparency and access to data names and accusing them of abuse.
This link is quite an eyeopener. Well worth the long read. The same techniques used by the Wessely school to silence ME activists were exactly those used by the Science Media Centre( Wessely is a trustee) to silence anti GM activists more than a decade ago. Thank you @Luther Blissett!

Deepwater

In case this has been missed, Ben Goldacre is a psychiatrist and friend of Simon Wessely. Wessely was his first boss.

Goldacre used to be the Guardian’s science man as well.

The Guardian’s long-standing hate campaign against ME sufferers seems to be driven entirely by cronyism so far as I can see. It’s quite sickening that they still have the image of an innocent investigative newspaper fearlessly promoting the right and the good.

Deepwater

What hate campaign? A quick look at the titles of all the Guardian’s ME/CFS articles does not show evidence of a hate campaign.

Read all the articles over the years. The Guardian keeps repeating uncritically the claim that ME patient activists are hounding scientists, sending death threats, etc, whilst the good ME patients follow the scientists’ advice, do GET and recover. It repeatedly portrays any criticism of Wessleyites as dangerous harassment. It is as if over and over again they have simply published articles given them by Weasley and his friends. I know other newspapers have run junk articles on ME but none so often and vigorously as the Guardian.

I’m afraid I married a Guardian reader so I have more awareness of the effect of this constant drip feed than most. Essentially, it left an impression in my other half that remaining ill with ME was an act of selfish wilfulness. I even had to put up with being shouted at for membership of the ME Association because the Guardian had regurgitated Wessely’s claim that it is a “rogue organisation”. So I’d call that a hate campaign.

Learner1

Maybe it would be a great time to contact the Guardian, voicing your disappointment to date with their coverage, and sharing an opportunity for a new article. It would include links to:
  • The PACE retraction
  • Articles on mefical developments in ME/CFS aroynd the world
  • Video link for OMF symposium
  • Announcement of NICE guidelines revamp
  • New NICE committee appointees with their links to PACE
  • What this continued situation means to patients
Newspapers like controversy...might be worth a try...