• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beginning the Yasko protocol

Hello everyone,

I have been reading these forums for a long time, but have only just now created an account and decided to say Hullo.

Hullo! : ]

So, I have a whole bunch of symptoms and they alternate daily it seems. I'm beginning the Yasko protocol outlined in her workbook. It seems the first step is to "balance GABA & Glutamate" via:

<quote> I feel the first step is to get balance glutamate and gaba in part by pulling down glutamate levels that are too high. Tools you can consider for help with this include: Be Calm Spray, Ku shen tea(may help neutralize excess glutamate http://bit.ly/11gKqxO ), carnosine(as it may help decrease glutamate transport), gaba, Nerve Calm Formula, Resveratrol Spray, pycnogenol, grape seed extract. It is not necessary to use all of these, which ones you choose will depend on your doctors opinion, how much of an issue glutamate is and which supplements you respond well to. Also glutamate works with calcium to cause excitotoxicity so keeping calcium in balance with zinc, low dose lithium and magnesium can be a help. Also you can consider the use of ATP to be sure phosphate levels don't drop too low so that leucine increases which can in turn increase glutamate. All of this is part of STEP 1 of the program, which you can read more about in the book and workbook and the updated supplement by mutation list. </quote>

So, this leads me to believe I should just start with the above supplements that agree with me most. This would be ku shen tea, and the BeCalm Spray, as well as maintaining a diet void of excitotoxins. GABA seems to correlate with depression, for me. So, I have shied away from taking it.

However, several pages down in the workbook. There is a chart outlining Step 1 groundwork supplements. And it is much more than listed above to support gaba/glutamate...

TOP STEP ONE SUPPLEMENTS/Nutritional Groundwork 1-4 daily All in One General Vitamin  1-2 MTHFR A1298C+/Liver Compound  1 VDR Fok/Pancreatic Compound  1-2 Ultimate B Complex  15-40 mg Zinc  1 Ora-Kidney  1 Cod Liver Oil  3 Special Digestive Enzymes 1 w/each meal  1 or more sprays Resveratrol Spray  2 or more sprays BeCalm Spray1 or more Vita D-Light Spray or Vitamin D  1 Ora-Adren-80  1 Ora-Triplex  1 or more VitaOrgan  1 or more GABA  500mg Vitamin C  Probiotics–several types-rotate daily  2 drops Cell Food  2 drops Bionativus Trace Minerals...

My question is: do I begin just with balancing gaba and glutamate or do I try to work on incorporating all of the supplements listed above? I noticed that a B-complex was in the list, but I thought B vitamins were not to be added until later on after GABA & Glutamate were balanced.

I'm not sure how many of you have delved into nutrigenomics and specifically the Yasko protocol, but I hope to be able to discuss this with a few of you.

(My *current* symptoms include: dizziness, head pressure, depression, anxiety (ugh- I get bad depression and anxiety and have for almost a decade now, coming and going), doomy thoughts, digestion issues (which have been improving lately with the advent of a new diet), brain fog, feeling like my brain is keeling over... et cetera : ] Most of my symptoms of late seem to be neurological, I think diet, exercise, and sauna use have been helping deal with the physical symptoms, though my eyes have developed retinal holes and I have to have surgery done for that next month.... )

Here are my SNPs:
++ = MAO A R297R & MTHFR A1298C
+- = MTHFR 3, MTRR A66G, MTRR K350A, BHMT 2, BHMT 8 & CBS C699T

Furthermore - today I've been experiencing a weird sensation in my chest. Not palpitations or rapid heart rate, but almost a feeling of my heart giving out. That's the best I can describe it. Ivery also started having panic symptoms in my thought patterns. It's been ages since I've felt this and it almost drove me insane back in 2007.

I'm taking probiotic, 1000 iu of d3, super k, and I took half a capsule of potassium earlier because of frequent sauna use, and daily lithium supplementation until today.

I'm trying to back up to step 1 on the yasko protocol so I've dropped lithium, B's, I might drop mag though I'm really hesitant to do so ..... thoughts?