• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bedridden exercises

I'm unable to leave my bedroom right now
Got a major PEM, flue-like crisis and paralysis episode and have been bedridden for two weeks so far.

Right now, if I try to walk, my legs fall under the weight of my upper body.
But I wonder if there's any kind of exercise I can do in bed, in order to avoid total deconditioning and even more pain. Anything like some kind of stretching or light resistance.

Any thought?

curry

I'm unable to leave my bedroom right now
Got a major PEM, flue-like crisis and paralysis episode and have been bedridden for two weeks so far.

Right now, if I try to walk, my legs fall under the weight of my upper body.
But I wonder if there's any kind of exercise I can do in bed, in order to avoid total deconditioning and even more pain. Anything like some kind of stretching or light resistance.

Any thought?

Very sorry to hear...

Instead of doing exercises, which might lead to further malaise, I would suggest to take some supplements to increase mitochondrial performance and get some energy back, so you can leave the bedroom.

What helps me: high doses of coQ10, L-Acetyl Carnitine drinks, green tea (or something else with coffein), D-Ribose (as I remember from another thread your gut is probably fermented, so careful on the D-Ribose).
If this won't be sufficient to get you going, then some further supplements to gain energy.

Hope you will feel better soon.

Athene

ihateticks.me
River, I am so sorry to hear you are in this condition. I was like this last christmas and up until Easter - sometimes completely unable to walk.

Definitely don't do any exercise at all. It will only do you harm. You are not capable of the level of exertion that would stimulate your immune system, and your muscles are not capable of the healing to develop denser muscle fibre.

I agree with Curry's supplement ideas, these are also helping me a lot. The other one which is extremely important with this level of weakness is magnesium. Take up to 1000mg a day. You will see the effect in just 4 days and the improvement carries on for up to two weeks before plateauing.
I also always take zinc when in this state as it is essential with vitamin C for the immune system.

When totally unable to exercise, the only way to stimulate the immune system is taking hot and cold showers. Cold water for a minute then hot for 2 minutes and keep alternating for about ten minutes. I only pass on this doctor's advice for your consideration as I have only done once myself, I am too cowardly! I met someone recently who had the guts to stick to it and said it really helped her.

Hi river. Completely understand this, and so sorry it's happening to you.

I'd recommend a similar protocol as curry for a faster recovery:
* Co Q-10 (100mg if the ubiquinone form; i.e. the cheaper one)
* L-carnitine (1,000mg)
* And also Vitamin E (usually comes in combination with Co Q-10 supplements anyway)
* Magnesium (at least 100% daily value)

It won't make you spring out of bed but it will support your mitochondria (the failure of which is what leads to these episodes, as far as my knowledge goes) and can help you get better quicker.

High protein helps me too; I drink the glucose control shakes because they are low in sugar and of course, liquid, so easier to digest.

From my experience the only "exercise" you can do in this state is just to move around in bed when you can; don't stay in one place the entire time, etc. Sit up every now and then, if only for a few minutes or seconds. If you have family support, perhaps they can help you move your limbs to encourage blood flow and so that your body doesn't try to eat away your muscles. Rest for the main part, but move around whenever you're able, even if it's as simple as sitting up and stretching one arm; stretch the other one later!

As you can tell, these minor things take a huge amount of effort. It's what I do whenever I'm bad off. Just keep moving and keep the blood flowing, but allow yourself to rest :)

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I am sorry. I agree about the supplements.

I do have ideas for though for moving in bed. I was in the same shape. My doctor told me to flex my toes slowiy forward and back. This is needed for circulation. You can hold a gel ball and squeeze too. If you can later when stronger, you can gently lift your leg and stretch. Just start with the toes a few times. It helps your calves build a bit of strength.

dannybex

I agree with GG, and the other posts too. I have a friend who was bedridden for 2 years...she said that for awhile the only 'exercise' she could do was deep breathing...and it helped her get to the next step where she could eventually do some small stretches. While she was housebound for several years, she eventually recovered enough to return to school.

Magnesium can be helpful, but I've read that it may worsen a candida problem, and that calcium and/or zinc may inhibit candida:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2037228

I'm so very sorry you're doing poorly River. Please know we're thinking of you and that things can get better.

Wishing you the best,

Dan

Andrew

These are the exercises I was taught, and the advice I was given. From what you have said, you are worse than I was when I learned these. So be careful.

I was told not to do these all at once. For example, do upper body one day, lower body the next.

Eliminate ones that are just too hard to do. Be careful.

Lying on back

1. Flex ankles so toes point toward foot of bed, then flex all the way the other direction.
2. Move right leg outward and back. Then same with left leg.
3. Flex buttocks and release
4. With a bolster under your knees. Straighten leg, then relax it. Do the same with the other. If it is too hard to put the bolster there, forget it
5. Lift one leg and put it down. Then the other.

BTW, with the leg lifts, if it too hard to lift, it is okay to just lift so less weight is on the bed. IOW, the leg could still be touching, but not pressing into the bed as much.

6. hold out arms palms up. Turn palms down and back up.
7. Put your palms against each other. Press and release.
8. Using your fingers to hold your hands together, pull outward without releasing grip. Then relax.
9. arms out palms up. Bend arms until forearm is pointing up. Like doing curls. Put arms down.

BTW, when you get better all these exercises (even the leg ones) can be done standing up. IOW, when you get to the point where you are walking around, you can do these standing up.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi River,
I just had another idea too. Have you got anyone who could give you some body massages? Even if they don't know what to do and just rub you randomly with massage oil, this will help circulation and stop you feeling as if you're growing roots into the matress. I've been bedridden for 3 years with this illness and I found this very helpful.
I got back in shape after I was able to leave the bed. It took work, but the deconditioning was nowhere near as bad as you would expect. So don't start feeling desperate.