International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BCAAs reducing PEM

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by Mary, Jan 3, 2015.

1. lllamamom

lllamamom

That's interesting, TreePerson! What are others experience? After a week of BCAA 3 x d, and D ribose, I couldn't tell much difference. I had read in another thread that a small dose of D ribose before bed might help with sleep--so tried that the last 3 nights. It did seem to help the first two nights, but last night--well, the wind gusts hit 50 mph, so nothing would have helped :)

TreePerson likes this.
  2. TreePerson

TreePerson Senior Member

U.K.
    Oh yes we have had wind like that lately. It also triggered the monstrously bright security lights in a neighbouring school so all my senses were attacked!
    The first time I took D ribose I felt a big lift within about an hour. But now it hardly does anything. So I tend to scale it down in my better phases and keep it for crashes.
    Before Christmas L Carnatine was helping and now that’s worn off too. I have heard others say the same that the body seems to adjust to the supplements and you lose the benefits. But then again I know all the people who take them regularly and swear by them.

3. Mary

Mary Forum Support Assistant

Southern California
    Hi @TreePerson - I take the BCAAs daily. Right before I first started taking them (I think a little over 3 years ago) my crashes generally lasted 2-3 days. After taking the BCAAs for several days, I crashed again but could not believe it when I could feel it lifting the same night. It lasted one day. So I've taken them ever since, and my crashes have been like that ever since, generally lasting one day. I do monitor my activity carefully - if I severely over do it (which is rare), the crash will last longer, But it used to be that doing one thing too many - e.g., going to the library after grocery shopping would land me in bed for 2 to 3 days. Now it's one. So I take them all the time. I don't want to go back to how I was.

I take d-ribose faithfully every day as well. I think it's something that helps me all the time, I don't think the effect wears off. I did try cutting back on my d-ribose dose because it's sort of pricey but after awhile I realized my energy had decreased so I went back up to the full dose (though lately I keep forgetting to take a second dose during the day! I have to work on this :sluggish:)

Shoshana and TreePerson like this.
  4. TreePerson

TreePerson Senior Member

U.K.
    Thank you very much @Mary :)
    I will experiment I think. I am functioning at quite a low level - no shopping or libraries sadly - I’m not sure if that makes a difference. But I find that it’s increasingly important not to crash badly because I no longer recover to the same level. So I’m very keen to have things to work well in emergencies.

Shoshana and Mary like this.
  5. José Segundo

José Segundo

SPAIN
    Hi. If amino acids are in range, is it advisable to supplement them? Thank you!

6. José Segundo

José Segundo

SPAIN
  7. José Segundo

José Segundo

SPAIN
  8. Mary

Southern California
    Hi @José Segundo - sorry, I can't answer that as to whether or not you should take amino acids. But I can tell you my experience. I described why I first started taking BCAAs in the beginning of this thread. My leucine was quite low (at least it had been a few years before, I didn't get new testing done). And my results after several days or a week were very good - cutting my PEM (crash) recovery time in half. And I've been taking them ever since.

I haven't been retested. But I'm assuming my BCAA levels are higher and likely in the normal range now. I did cut my dose of BCAAs a bit last year, and after awhile I noticed that my PEM recovery time was creeping back up, so I went back to my original dose.

I don't think it would hurt you to try BCAAs (but can't say for sure of course!) - they have helped several people on this board. As with anything new, it's good to start with a low dose to see how you react.

People with ME/CFS often need higher doses of various nutrients than healthy people (e.g., I need more folate, B12, and potassium, to name a few)

Shoshana likes this.
  9. Shoshana

Shoshana Northern USA

Northern USA
    Good questions.

I notice that your numbers @José Segundo
    Some of them are at the low end of normal range. Near the low end. So it might help you to supplement, and like Mary, I do not know of any danger, but of course, I do not know either.

I also think that each individual person might have an optimal #, which might vary, when the normal range is very large, as some of them are. SO perhaps even though a number is in normal range, it mght not be the best number for you.

Just my personal ideas/thoughts, on why it might help a person to try the BCAA's , or a complete product that includes both the BCAA's, along with additional amino acids, or the rest of the amino acids.

I am not an expert, but I would judge them more by what effect they have.

Mary likes this.
  10. Mary

Southern California
    I would judge them by the effect too. I think people with ME/CFS very well may need higher doses of several aminos than are found in food. It's been documented that because of our defective energy production that we use aminos for fuel, unlike or more than "normal" people.

However, I would not try to get BCAAs from a complete amino acid product. I don't think it has the same effect - e.g., protein powder never affected my PEM like the BCAAS have. And I did take a complete amino acid product some years ago and again it had no noticeable effect. Athletes take BCAAs for results which I don't think are obtained from products with the full complement of amino acids.

Runner5 and Shoshana like this.

See more popular forum discussions.