• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BCAA vs increasing protein

Learner1

Most are new zealand or argentina and come with good recommendations. Another thing to consider is the liver doesnt store toxins but breaks down toxins so it can be eliminated by the kidneys etc. So if it had toxins, it wouldnt be anymore than any other part of the beef??

Universal nutrition dessicated liver tablets is the brand i have used and priced well but the prices do seem to vary between different distributors also. Beverley international and Solgar are popular brands.
Thanks for answering. I'm still a little concerned. I've encountered various toxins in various supplements and have found it a good practice to contemplate if s9mdtbing new might be risky.

The liver is working on toxins at the time the animal is slaughtered - detoxification is a set of ongoing processes. I've seen my liver numbers worsen when my body has struggled during chelation.

I also found this:

"Just because the liver doesn’t store toxins, doesn’t necessarily mean that the liver meat is free of toxins. You need to consider the environmental factors in which the animal was raised, because those factors might cause toxins to build up in all parts of the animal.

For example, a cow or chicken that is raised in a factory farm is exposed to many toxins, especially since the animal is crowded into a small indoor space with many other sick animals. These animals are given genetically-modified and pesticide laden feed, as well as antibiotics and hormones. The animal’s natural detox functions can’t get rid of all of the unnatural and harmful poisons that the animal is exposed to, so those poisonous materials begin to build up in all parts of the body—including the liver."

pamojja

Thanks for answering. I'm still a little concerned. I've encountered various toxins in various supplements and have found it a good practice to contemplate if s9mdtbing new might be risky.

Despite my risky behavior - loading up on definitely not organic Ayurvedic medicines each of the last 6 years during 6 weeks vacation in polluted India - I made the experience that lab-tests (inflammation and liver/kidney function) indicate something somehow counterintuitive: CRP 3.5 versus 1.1 mg/L, ESR 43 vs. 6 mm/hr - AST 25 vs. 35 U/l, ALT 25 vs. 41 U/l - BUN/Creatinine 27 vs. 36 ratio (5-35 range; all averaged for the lasts 6 years, India vs. back home).

So despite no organic food and medicine, always inflammation soared in the 6 weeks in India (in fact, 3 times I got serious infections in India, while never at home) - but liver and kidney enzymes always normalized during these short 6 weeks??

Also did yearly HTMA's to check concurrent exposures. Only Uranium went above normal in 2015 and came down since. Which could also be caused by higher bicarbonates intake, which allegedly chelates uranium.

PS: actually take Ayurvedic medicines with me for the rest of the year. So the difference is in the amounts possibly, and that I consume more traditional liquid preparations there (herbal wine, concoction and syrups) than at home (capsules and powders).

pamojja

..And that doesn't stop people from carrying the preparations home from India in suitcases.

Properly describes me. What worries me the most while in India is by it's sheer amounts the foods and water. For example, most there are still not aware of toxic metal in batteries, get thrown away even in vegetable fields. However, we must be all truly different in our bio-chemical individuality. To not even have ill effects, but seemingly an improvement of detox organs in my case.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

The liver is working on toxins at the time the animal is slaughtered - detoxification is a set of ongoing processes. I've seen my liver numbers worsen when my body has struggled during chelation.

I also found this:

"Just because the liver doesn’t store toxins, doesn’t necessarily mean that the liver meat is free of toxins. You need to consider the environmental factors in which the animal was raised, because those factors might cause toxins to build up in all parts of the animal.

For example, a cow or chicken that is raised in a factory farm is exposed to many toxins, especially since the animal is crowded into a small indoor space with many other sick animals. These animals are given genetically-modified and pesticide laden feed, as well as antibiotics and hormones. The animal’s natural detox functions can’t get rid of all of the unnatural and harmful poisons that the animal is exposed to, so those poisonous materials begin to build up in all parts of the body—including the liver."

Yep, everyone has to way up the pro's and cons. Research it more as well as specific brands that suit. The other substance it contains is cytochrome p450 which helps to metabolize toxic compounds. I did a post on liver tablets 2 years ago on pr with info on it.

Learner1

The other substance it contains is cytochrome p450 which helps to metabolize toxic compounds
CYP450 is not a substance. We have a set of CYP450 genes, which express proteins, in this case enzymes that work in Phase I detoxification. They need co factors to work properly, and some of us have CYP SNPs that make us metabolize things more quickly or slowly than other people.

In some people/animals, Phase I detoxification, works just fine, converting toxins into intermediate metabolites that can be more toxic than the initial toxin (like in the case of arsenic), but then Phase Ii detoxification, which consists of several pdicesses using different genes, enzymes, and cofactors may not work as well, causing the buildup of toxins and worsening symptoms.

These Phase II procrsses include:

Glutathione conjugation
Methylation
Sulfation
Acylation/Glycation
Acetylation
Glucuronidation

This gives more info on CYP450 genes and how they work:

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/genefamily/cytochromep450

Many of us have problems in these various pathways and have toxins complicating out situations. I have, unfortunately, learned all of this the hard way over the past 10 years.

The easiest way to get toxins out is not to put them in in the first place.:sluggish: So, its important to be aware of the potential risks of anything we ingest...

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
https://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/4594/
This is an article about the guy who originally pushed the liver supplement idea. He is saying cytochrome p450 is an enzyme (substance whatever) present in the liver tabs. Enzymes speed up chemical reactions probably in the p450 gene.

I guess the question is, do dessicated liver tablets contain toxins?
It seems as though it depends greatly on where its farmed and if its free range or not. The liver doesnt specifically store toxins but does store many nutrients. But if one is worried about the toxins in the liver, than probably shouldnt eat any beef or meat substances as most toxins are stored in bodyfat and the nervous system.

At the end of the day its a personal decision where one weighs up the pro's and cons and what the risk factors really are.

I cant say the liver tablets helped or hindered, it was just another protein source for me.

Learner1

Its multiple CYP genes and enzymes, not one. This diagram illustrates some of them, but there are more...

https://goo.gl/images/dbe96z

It seems as though it depends greatly on where its farmed and if its free range or not
Exactly.
But if one is worried about the toxins in the liver, than probably shouldnt eat any beef or meat substances as most toxins are stored in bodyfat and the nervous system.
A recent study showed most vegan (even organic) protein powders contained significant amounts of toxins. Rice has arsenic, as do red wine and water. Tuna and many other fish have mercury.

My point is not to say what one should or should not eat, but to be aware of the sources of what we put in our bodies and the potential issues. I spent 6 years getting mercury out of my body, and a lot of further time and effort getting rid of arsenic, cadmium, lead, platinum, and tin.

At the beginning, I didn't know what CYP enzymes or detoxification pathways were, but I learned the hard way that toxins can really make being healthy difficult and avoiding toxins going in is a wise strategy. As I mentioned, I'm a stage 3 cancer survivor and found that many of these toxins are carcinogenic, disrupt mitochondrial and neurological function, etc.

Its also wise to understand how detoxification pathways work, the nutrients and cofactors needed, and how toxins are eliminated from the body through sweat, urine, and feces. Here is a good illustration of this:

https://goo.gl/images/vXprCq

junkcrap50

Has anyone found any BCAAs that have a tolerable taste? I've wasted money on 2 or 3 BCAA powders and they all taste horrible. I couldn't stomach them and threw them all out. I also take too many pills to add BCAAs in the form of more pills.

Wishful

What do the BCAAs taste like to you? The brand I tried tasted fruity, almost good enough to be a candy flavour. Almost, but not quite, since it did taste 'chemically'.

The arginine tasted vile. :vomit:

Learner1

Has anyone found any BCAAs that have a tolerable taste? I've wasted money on 2 or 3 BCAA powders and they all taste horrible. I couldn't stomach them and threw them all out. I also take too many pills to add BCAAs in the form of more pills.
I hear you on the too many pills.;) But, alas, I take BCAA capsules. I started with 3-6g capsules of a standard product, but my recent labs convinced me I didn't need as much any more, so I only take 1 or 2 on days I stress myself physically above my normal activity level.

junkcrap50

What do the BCAAs taste like to you? The brand I tried tasted fruity, almost good enough to be a candy flavour. Almost, but not quite, since it did taste 'chemically'.

The arginine tasted vile. :vomit:
They just taste like horrible artificial flavoring. I tried a berry blast that was supposed to be blueberry-ish, but didn't taste like any berries, but rather tasted like the color blue that is used in so many flavorings. The fruit punch flavor I tried also tasted bad, like cheap, excessively sweet cool-aid. Just seems like I can't find a flavoring they add to my liking.

ljimbo423

They just taste like horrible artificial flavoring. I tried a berry blast that was supposed to be blueberry-ish, but didn't taste like any berries, but rather tasted like the color blue that is used in so many flavorings. The fruit punch flavor I tried also tasted bad, like cheap, excessively sweet cool-aid. Just seems like I can't find a flavoring they add to my liking.

Have you tried mixing them into something like lemonade "crystal light" drink mix? I buy the crystal light in pouches that make something like 6-8 cups each and just add the powder to taste.

Maybe you could mix the BCAA's in something like that and if you need a stronger lemonade flavor or for it to be sweeter you could just add in more crystal light.

ljimbo423

Have you tried mixing them into something like lemonade "crystal light" drink mix? I buy the crystal light in pouches that make something like 6-8 cups each and just add the powder to taste.

Maybe you could mix the BCAA's in something like that and if you need a stronger lemonade flavor or for it to be sweeter you could just add in more crystal light.

@junkcrap50 -I just wanted to clarify that I meant mixing plain BCAA's with a flavored drink mix of some kind not already flavored BCAA's.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@junkcrap50 - I take a combination of capsules and a bulk powder (to save $). The bulk powder has no flavoring added - I hate artificial flavorings! It has a really bland mild taste, doesn't really taste like anything. I just mix it with water (it doesn't dissolve well but I don't care) and swallow it, no problem! I take the BCAA powder from Bulk Supplements - you can get free shipping on it from Amazon Prime or order it directly from bulksupplements.com

junkcrap50

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll go with unflavored powder and try mixing it into other drinks. Except it doesn't mix well in water I see. I guess I didn't know to think it cam unflavored.

ljimbo423

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll go with unflavored powder and try mixing it into other drinks. Except it doesn't mix well in water I see. I guess I didn't know to think it cam unflavored.

If it doesn't mix well, a shaker cup might work better if you have one. One of those cups that has a cover you can put on it to seal it tight, then just shake it up.

Wishful

The brand I bought (Canadianprotein) didn't mention artificial flavouring. I assumed that the mild fruity flavour was simply how the pure amino acids taste. It certainly didn't taste like any fruit I recognized, and not something that would pass as an intentional artificial flavour.