• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC1 tonight — Doctor in the House, featuring "chronic fatigue"

Large Donner

I am wondering if one of the pressures they put onto patients is to put them in a position whereby if they don't say they are recovering then the only other alternative is that they are weak minded and inline for a psychiatric diagnosis and turn the patient into a pleaser, afraid to speak back to therapists, doctors and family members, who are all sitting in place to have them further "helped" with psychiatric treatment.

It wouldn't surprise me if people are told over and over again that everyone else who comes here recovers.

No doubt there's the old, "mindfulness will lead to wellness" mantra also, two flexible terms that can mean anything they are required to mean.

Last edited:

Valentijn

That means that your therapist will be spewing out how much they recovered using the same treatments whilst treating you. Which creates an extremely personal bond and more of a reason to trust the therapist.
I distrust any therapist or researcher claiming to be a former ME/CFS patient, until they've provided proof of both the diagnosis and the recovery. It's a fairly common lie, from psychobabblers.

Large Donner

I distrust any therapist or researcher claiming to be a former ME/CFS patient, until they've provided proof of both the diagnosis and the recovery. It's a fairly common lie, from psychobabblers.

But surely you believe wellness gurus who work on pyramid schemes and charge £800 for a few days of guaranteed cure whilst gagging the participants and banning them from saying negative things about the treatments because those negative thoughts will affect their own wellness recovery?

Come on get into the attitude!

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
I had to laugh at their conclusion of the pilot study done in 2014:
"The study found significant improvements in participants belief they could change their situation and the symptom of sleep after only 8 weeks"

Just how do you objectively measure belief? And since when is improvements in belief a sign of recovery?o_O

Actually, the fact that beliefs changed, but the underlying health didn't change actively disproves any hypotheses that beliefs perpetuate the illness or drive symptoms.

SamanthaJ

I had to laugh at their conclusion of the pilot study done in 2014:
"The study found significant improvements in participants belief they could change their situation and the symptom of sleep after only 8 weeks"

Just how do you objectively measure belief? And since when is improvements in belief a sign of recovery?o_O
Also, I'm guessing at 8 weeks in, you're still trying to convince yourself it's money well spent.

Molly98

One thing that really bugs me is the amount of money these people are charging for so called therapy sessions for relatively little /low grade training.
For example it takes 4-5 yrs training at Masters level and intensive exams etc to train as UKCP psychotherapist. Ones I know charge £40 to £45 PH
I know a acupuncturist I used to see who had many years post grad training, and 20 years experience only charged £40 per hr.
My osteopath, again many years postgraduate training and 15 yrs experience £40 per session.
These guys are charging £65 PER 30 mins
This is terribly exploitative of ME patients desperation to get better. This does not sit well with me at all, particularly given low level of training.

Some years ago my homeopathy practitioner told me the same thing ... 6 months later ... "sorry there's nothing more I can do for you" ... hmmmmm....

Last edited:

EtherSpin

so this was the eternal problem of people who know better choosing to still use the term "Chronic Fatigue" when its one word away from CFS when cracking out the thesaurus would avoid problems for millions with our debilitating condition.
lingering exhaustion, long term lethargy, tiredness etc