• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC Thinking Allowed on 'Exhaustion'

MEMum

Looks like he may have deleted it(?)

Was still there just now.

I had the whole programme on in the background and he said it was the last one in the series (c 13 mins) and that they would be back in 6 weeks.

Anyone going to "take up the gauntlet", or write a succint reply?

slysaint

Have just listened to it. What twaddle. Reminds me of the talk Wessely gave on Gulf War syndrome where he went throught history to 'prove' it didn't actually exist.

The line from AKS "there is a very strong patient lobby who feel that their condition is not being taken seriously and who are convinced that there are organic causes for their fatigue syndrome" really p***** me off.

This constant thing of saying it's ONLY the patients who 'believe' it has 'organic causes' is wearing a bit thin.

Last edited:

SamanthaJ

I had the whole programme on in the background and he said it was the last one in the series (c 13 mins) and that they would be back in 6 weeks.

Anyone going to "take up the gauntlet", or write a succint reply?

I'm working on one, although I'm hoping he'll have better ones than mine to read out. Knowing it's off air for 6 weeks helps, gives me a bit more time. I'd somehow missed that, so thank you.

This constant thing of saying it's ONLY the patients who 'believe' it has 'organic causes' is wearing a bit thin.
It is infuriating. It's not us who are relying on 'beliefs'.

Last edited:

MEMum

This constant thing of saying it's ONLY the patients who 'believe' it has 'organic causes' is wearing a bit thin.[/QUOTE]

From my notes on the prog, one of them added "and medical researchers" after the "strong patient lobby"

EDIT; but then goes on to say researchers who say that the cause isn't known yet, but may be psychological...

Last edited:

Esther12

From my notes on the prog, one of them added "and medical researchers" after the "strong patient lobby"

EDIT; but then goes on to say researchers who say that the cause isn't known yet, but may be psychological...[/QUOTE]

I may have missed out some of the parts where they slightly talk over each other, as I couldn't really hear those bits. Hope anyone quoting a section goes back to listen to the original first!