Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BBC: Secret Universe: The Hidden Life of the Cell: Viral Infection

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Firestormm, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01nln7d/Secret_Universe_The_Hidden_Life_of_the_Cell/

28 October 2012:

Thought it might be of interest :)

jeffrez and Enid like this.
  2. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
    Very well done indeed! It explains the basics in a wonderful way.

3. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Great programme that Firestormm - very informative in the understanding of the immune system. I think it was Prof Steve Jones who predicted this century would be about understanding the virus more. Now I can view again.

4. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    I'm only 30 minutes through it all but the graphics and animation are brilliant I thought!! Especially liked the Mitochondria representation, and of course the invading pathogens :ninja:

Very clever programme that I wasn't aware of. Thanks must go to the ME Association for flagging up this episode.

5. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Thanks Firestormm for posting - i had noticed it was on, but wasn't sure wether to watch or not. I will give it a go this afternoon.
    All the best, Justy

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I saw it and it's phenomenally good. Just amazing that all this stuff is going on inside our bodies to keep us alive. Incredible to be able to see it with these computer-generated animations. Just extraordinary.

justy likes this.
  7. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    Are viruses dead? I though that was an interesting angle. Never really (obviously) considered it before. But if they aren't dead - then what are they?

The notion that 'in the dawn of time' some viruses got together and decided 'Hey, you know what? Lets form cells!!' and some didn't but sought to 'ninja' those cells was very cool.

We are made-up of dino-viruses and even 'invading' pathogens have now developed the 'keys' to unlock our defences because of this 'age of dawn' battle.

Loved the 'acid shower' too! Our defences are pretty cool you have to admit!!

Viruses seek to replicate. Cells seek to replicate. Both out for survival. War of the Worlds :)

Adenovirus - can't say it was a name I was familiar with!

Absolutely fascinating. Might now buy Carl Zimmer's Plant of Viruses I think. Mind you I begrudge the price even discounted!

Sasha and Enid like this.
  8. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    Is Susanna Bidgood the UK answer to Abbie Smith? Talk about enthused about viruses (not to mention rather attractive) :oops:

justy likes this.
  9. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    WOW!!! Just watched this programme - it was amazing. If you are in the UK - you have 5 more days to watch it. It is well worth an hour of your time. Fantastic computer animations really lets us 'see' what is going on inside our 120 trillion cells (yes 120 trillion - and if the mitochondria are not working properly in my 120 trillion, that sounds like a lot of damage going on.)

All the best, Justy x

Firestormm likes this.
  10. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Since the dawn of time 2 cells - ours (life forms) and the virus. Locked in battle ever since it seems, sounds almost with some grisley intent. :alien:

Firestormm likes this.
  11. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    A mate found this version of the above - available to those living outside of the United Kingdom:

Do let me know if you guys can view it alright. :)

Dan_USAAZ likes this.
  12. meandthecat

meandthecat Senior Member

West country UK
    Nick Lane, one of the presenters, wrote a book about mitochondria; Power, sex, suicide. absolutely brilliant if a little challenging.

13. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Is this also only available for five days. I don't think I can watch imbedded video on my dial-up connection at all. I will have to go to the public library for this.

See more popular forum discussions.