• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC: Secret Universe: The Hidden Life of the Cell: Viral Infection

Firestormm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01nln7d/Secret_Universe_The_Hidden_Life_of_the_Cell/

28 October 2012:

There is a battle playing out inside your body right now. It started billions of years ago and it is still being fought in every one of us every minute of every day. It is the story of a viral infection - the battle for the cell.

This film reveals the exquisite machinery of the human cell system from within the inner world of the cell itself - from the frenetic membrane surface that acts as a security system for everything passing in and out of the cell, the dynamic highways that transport cargo across the cell and the remarkable turbines that power the whole cellular world to the amazing nucleus housing DNA and the construction of thousands of different proteins all with unique tasks. The virus intends to commandeer this system to one selfish end: to make more viruses. And they will stop at nothing to achieve their goal.

Exploring the very latest ideas about the evolution of life on earth and the bio-chemical processes at the heart of every one of us, and revealing a world smaller than it is possible to comprehend, in a story large enough to fill the biggest imaginations. With contributions from Professor Bonnie L Bassler of Princeton University, Dr Nick Lane and Professor Steve Jones of University College London and Cambridge University's Susanna Bidgood.

Thought it might be of interest :)

Enid

Great programme that Firestormm - very informative in the understanding of the immune system. I think it was Prof Steve Jones who predicted this century would be about understanding the virus more. Now I can view again.

Firestormm

I'm only 30 minutes through it all but the graphics and animation are brilliant I thought!! Especially liked the Mitochondria representation, and of course the invading pathogens :ninja:

Very clever programme that I wasn't aware of. Thanks must go to the ME Association for flagging up this episode.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Thanks Firestormm for posting - i had noticed it was on, but wasn't sure wether to watch or not. I will give it a go this afternoon.
All the best, Justy

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I saw it and it's phenomenally good. Just amazing that all this stuff is going on inside our bodies to keep us alive. Incredible to be able to see it with these computer-generated animations. Just extraordinary.

Firestormm

Are viruses dead? I though that was an interesting angle. Never really (obviously) considered it before. But if they aren't dead - then what are they?

The notion that 'in the dawn of time' some viruses got together and decided 'Hey, you know what? Lets form cells!!' and some didn't but sought to 'ninja' those cells was very cool.

We are made-up of dino-viruses and even 'invading' pathogens have now developed the 'keys' to unlock our defences because of this 'age of dawn' battle.

Loved the 'acid shower' too! Our defences are pretty cool you have to admit!!

Viruses seek to replicate. Cells seek to replicate. Both out for survival. War of the Worlds :)

Adenovirus - can't say it was a name I was familiar with!

Absolutely fascinating. Might now buy Carl Zimmer's Plant of Viruses I think. Mind you I begrudge the price even discounted!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
WOW!!! Just watched this programme - it was amazing. If you are in the UK - you have 5 more days to watch it. It is well worth an hour of your time. Fantastic computer animations really lets us 'see' what is going on inside our 120 trillion cells (yes 120 trillion - and if the mitochondria are not working properly in my 120 trillion, that sounds like a lot of damage going on.)

All the best, Justy x

Enid

Since the dawn of time 2 cells - ours (life forms) and the virus. Locked in battle ever since it seems, sounds almost with some grisley intent. :alien:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
A mate found this version of the above - available to those living outside of the United Kingdom:
Is this also only available for five days. I don't think I can watch imbedded video on my dial-up connection at all. I will have to go to the public library for this.