• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC Radio 4: The Film Programme - Unrest

SamanthaJ

Great interview. Jen was brilliant, but also the presenter didn't question the disease and was complimentary about the online patient community. Which is as it should be, but definitely not what we're used to! I don't know if she'd seen the film, but it sounded as though she had, and was impressed. It was a very good advert for the film.

NelliePledge

Great interview. Jen was brilliant, but also the presenter didn't question the disease and was complimentary about the online patient community. Which is as it should be, but definitely not what we're used to! I don't know if she'd seen the film, but it sounded as though she had, and was impressed. It was a very good advert for the film.
I believe Francine Stock has had serious health problems herself

Barry53

SamanthaJ

How about Woman's Hour? Would seem a natural for that.
Good idea. I did try Woman's Hour when the TED talk came out, but they might be more interested now with the film coming out, especially now she's been on another R4 show. She is certainly someone their listeners would like.

Edit: Just sent WH a brief comment, asking if they would be featuring 'Unrest' and mentioning this interview. If anyone else wants to do likewise

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007qlvb/contact

Last edited:

slysaint

Wouldn't it be lovely to do a screening with the whole of the Monstrous Women's Regiment?

If we dress up @TiredSam could wear his frock (I'm sure I've got some pearl earrings that would set it off a treat).

upload_2017-9-29_18-24-37.jpeg

Mrs Sowester

Wouldn't it be lovely to do a screening with the whole of the Monstrous Women's Regiment?

If we dress up @TiredSam could wear his frock (I'm sure I've got some pearl earrings that would set it off a treat).
It would be amazing, wouldn't it? I often wonder how many of us might actually be living closer to each other than we realise.
Off topic, I know, but is it worth thinking about a Monstrous Regiment subgroup? I've been thinking about next year's ME awareness day, Mr S being in the events industry has contacts that could light something up blue and I'm in a choir of up to 150 women who can warble totes emosh songs (some of whom have had ME or got children with it). But I have no experience of organising stuff or a large circle of friends anymore and I'm a bit shy really, I'd need PR friends to help and I couldn't handle being the 'boss' or the 'face'...
Shall I start a new thread about it at the weekend @Invisible Woman @MeSci @Cornishbird @sarah darwins @Countrygirl and everyone else I've forgotten? @hellytheelephant

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
It would be amazing, wouldn't it? I often wonder how many of us might actually be living closer to each other than we realise.
Off topic, I know, but is it worth thinking about a Monstrous Regiment subgroup? I've been thinking about next year's ME awareness day, Mr S being in the events industry has contacts that could light something up blue and I'm in a choir of up to 150 women who can warble totes emosh songs (some of whom have had ME or got children with it). But I have no experience of organising stuff or a large circle of friends anymore and I'm a bit shy really, I'd need PR friends to help and I couldn't handle being the 'boss' or the 'face'...
Shall I start a new thread about it at the weekend @Invisible Woman @MeSci @Cornishbird @sarah darwins @Countrygirl and everyone else I've forgotten? @hellytheelephant
Trouble is I have no transport.

Mrs Sowester

Don't worry about that, I'm sure if we get to have a meet up or an event we can arrange a lift :)

I'll start a members only thread about a Monstrous Regiment group tomorrow, 3 of us is a good start.

I think it could be a way we can support each other to do things we couldn't individually (and if I'm going to be brave enough to reach out to people about an ME awareness event I'll need loads of support to be honest!). Also we're all isolated, some of us might be living in the same area or village even, I'd be really happy to make friends who understand.

Jan

Has anyone tried to get a screening in the West Country at all? I've seen nothing past Bristol so far.

Jan

If I was well enough to attend we'd happily take you Vivien. I'm sorry, I've been a rubbish friend not getting to see you yet. There never seems to be enough hours in the day having the ferrets to take care of, housework, garden etc. It would be easier if I still drove, but I no longer feel safe and my partner is still having to do extra work so I never know when he will be free to drive me. If there was a meeting of the MRW or special event such as a screening of Unrest he would book leave from work.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
There's also @mermaid and of course @Jan who has answered now.