• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC news article: Could turmeric really boost your health?

AndyPR

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37408293

Prof Widschwendter is not particularly interested in turmeric but he is interested in how cancers start. His team have been comparing tissue samples taken from women with breast cancer and from women without it and they've found a change that happens to the DNA of cells well before they become cancerous.

The change is in the "packaging" of the genes. It's called DNA methylation. It's a bit like a dimmer switch that can turn the activity of the gene up or down.
"But the group who mixed turmeric powder into their food," he continued, "there we saw quite substantial changes. It was really exciting, to be honest. We found one particular gene which showed the biggest difference. And what's interesting is that we know this particular gene is involved in three specific diseases: depression, asthma and eczema, and cancer. This is a really striking finding."

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Curcumin - found in Turmeric is a powerful anti- inflammatory. Unfortunately for me I have MCAS reactions to amounts large enough to have good effects.

actup

@flybro, MCAS stands for mast cell activation syndrome. Mast cells release too much histamine. I have this problem and take monteleukast, generic Claritin and ranitidine daily w occas. diphenhydramine. I don't use a mast cell stabilizer..yet. The antihistamines lessen my flu like symptoms but not a cure for me/cfs. Good PR threads on mcas.

alex3619

I think we need to be careful in deciding this is due to curcumin. Turmeric has a lot more in it than curcumin, and it may be other factors, or combinations of factors, that result in apparent improvement. Does anyone know the dose used? It is probably low, with no appreciable quantity of curcumin.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I think we need to be careful in deciding this is due to curcumin. Turmeric has a lot more in it than curcumin, and it may be other factors, or combinations of factors, that result in apparent improvement. Does anyone know the dose used? It is probably low, with no appreciable quantity of curcumin.

I think there has been a lot of research into curcumin- fairly certain it's considered the active ingredient of turmeric. For cancer people take very high doses.

actup

Turmeric has many curcuminoids incl curcumin. I've only seen research studies for curcumin. Not sure why it's the only one researched. I suspect the other curcuminoids are also important so use an organic( hope it really is) turmeric cooking powder from amazon. It's very cheap. I make a curry(very heavy on the turmeric) and use it all week w chicken, eggs, cooked veggies and for dipping raw veggies. I happen to love curry.

The main concern I have w turmeric is the persistently high levels of lead contamination, a problem all supplements derived from plant roots potentially have.

I have been using turmeric in this way for the past two months and seem to tolerate it in spite of my histamine concerns( my mcas symptoms are in moderate range). I lay off the turmeric if dealing w much PEM. And yes I tend to have better weeks when I use it daily. So much of this is subjective but I believe we do understand our body's responses pretty well after a few years of living w me/cfs.