• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bad reaction after dentist's visit 2 weeks ago, going again tomorrow. Anesthetic?

Oak

Okay, so I'm going to the dentist's again tomorrow and am very anxious and need to get that under control so that I can actually make myself go!

Background:

I've been ill for 7 years, moderately for the first 5 years, now severe for the last 2 and housebound other than occasional hospital appointments for the last 15 months. Often bedbound, almost always in reclining chair, standing only to go to the bathroom or sometimes to go into housemate's rooms etc. For things like the dentist I am pushed in a wheelchair and then climb onto the dentist's chair.

Dentist visit 1 in December 2016 - nothing remarkable. Had heard local anaesthetic with adrenaline was not good for people with ME so asked for one without and had one without afaik. Added this info to my records with the dentist. Had my usual expected PEM the days afterwards, extra weakness and being bedbound etc.

Dentist visit 2 in April 2017 - nothing remarkable again. Mentioned no adrenaline at the beginning again and they agreed. They had some trouble numbing me which I suspect could be because between Dec 2016 and then I've started on a pretty high dose of CBD oil. Standard usual PEM the days after.

Dentist visit 3 in May 2017 - I experience an extra jolt of anxiety during the procedure. I mention it to the dentist so that I can have a quick sip of water and she says 'oh it's probably the adrenaline in the anaesthetic'. I'm shocked and said it was supposed to be on the notes that I shouldn't have it and she replied that I'd had it last time. I try to calm myself and get on with the procedure. I'm kind of dizzy feeling after but still not that unusual due to exertion and anxiety.

When I get home I can barely climb the stairs and the friend who took me to the appointment has to help pull me upstairs and once I collapse on the bed has to remove my shoes and glasses for me and cover me with a blanket. I was terrified mentally but physically felt completely helpless and almost paralyzed. I couldn't really move my limbs or roll over. I could barely speak and was slurring and mentally couldn't remember how to speak much. A part of me wondered if I might be dying I felt so awful. Thankfully I fell asleep. After two or three hours my friend woke me up to get me to eat as it was evening and I've only had breakfast that day because of this. It takes a while but I manage to eat some food and rest in bed hazily for the rest of the evening. I'm comparatively fine the next day other than my usual level of PEM.

What happened to me?

I rung the dentist and she assured me she'd never heard of anything like this and that I'd had the adrenaline containing anesthetic that second visit because the adrenaline free one hadn't been working properly. But would she really have done this having agreed to a non adrenaline anesthetic at the beginning? My personal theory is that she's got confused and only given it to me that third time and that that's what caused the reaction.

Basically, I really need to go again tomorrow but am terrified. I do also have issues with anxiety and agoraphobia and have a particular fear of passing out in public. My fear is becoming unwell whilst still at the dentist and being mentally aware of what's happening and panicking but being frozen and unable to move or communicate. The fear of that happening is really high right now and I feel like I need to understand what happened to my body so that I can get a hold on my anxiety and make myself go (the dental pain is really bothering me).

Thanks for reading!

Kati

Patient in training
Hello @Oak

Many patients with ME do not tolerate epinephrine in the freezing. I am one of them. Epinephrine causes the heart rate to increase for a length of time, and it can explain your anxietye during the procedure and your reaction afterwards.

For me, I had 3 days worth of migraine headache which i never get and a 6 weeks profound relapse. Subsequent dentist visits were uneventful as long as no epinephrine was injected. In fact there was a note in my chart saying in big red letters: 'No epinephrine: do not even sneak it in'. Quite telling, isn't it?
Well despite telling the assistant and the dentist 'no epinephrine' the last time I went for a procedure, the dentist 'sneaked it in'- he actually reached out in the cupboard for it. And I had a relapse because of that.

You need to be very clear with them that you cannot have epinephrine, even 'just a little bit'. You need them to assure you that they won't sneak any. If they can't give you this assurance, then maybe you need to find another dentist, like I did with the dentist that looked after me for 20 years.

The dentists like to use epinephrine in the freezing because the anesthesia takes much easier, lasts longer and requires less volume to be injected. There is also less bleeding if there is gum surgery. Without epi, some procedures that are longer in duraton will require refreezing halfway. So using epi is very convenient for dentists.

I hope it helps. Best wishes and welcome to the forums.

taniaaust1

I rung the dentist and she assured me she'd never heard of anything like this and that I'd had the adrenaline containing anesthetic that second visit because the adrenaline free one hadn't been working properly. But would she really have done this having agreed to a non adrenaline anesthetic at the beginning?

Get yourself a new dentist (and I suggest to do her a letter telling her she put your health at risk and made you unwell and that you will be going back to her so its on the records.. and will make her think twice before she does that again to some else). Ignoring someone like that and not even telling them you've done this.. well that's not on and could of put you into hospital.

In my case when adrenaline was used (not the dentist fault as I didnt know it could cause complications with ME at the time) I got such a severe reaction from the adrenaline that an ambulance was almost rung.

I was left unable to walk out right after my treatment, it look me an hour? before I'd stopped violently spasming and shaking from the adrenaline and had leg control back to walk safely... and it caused me a after effect for days (in my case severe pain where it had been injected into which was worst pain then the 4 gaping holes were my wisdom teeth had been actually pulled from).

OMG if someone did that to me and gave that to me again and ignored what I said, I dont know what I'd do. If she does this again you may even get a worst reaction next time.

overtheedge

For what it's worth my uncle, who incidentally doesn't have CFS, had a hypnotherapist put him in a trance for the duration of his wisdom teeth extraction. Don't know much about it myself but it shows there are alternatives.

Gingergrrl

In fact there was a note in my chart saying in big red letters: 'No epinephrine: do not even sneak it in'.

@Kati, you are very smart to do this and hoping that this note is NEVER ignored. I do not tolerate Epi either b/c of POTS and other issues and my new dentist 100% understands and agrees with this (but I can't proceed w/needed dental work for other reasons at present).

Get yourself a new dentist

I would have to agree with Tania and if you have told the dentist more than once that you do not tolerate Epi and they have "snuck it in" (truly for their own convenience and no other reason), this is not only disrespectful of you as the patient but is dangerous. What if they snuck something in that you were allergic to and it is caused anaphylaxis (not the Epi but something else in future). Is switching dentists an option @Oak?

Kati

Patient in training
@Kati, you are very smart to do this and hoping that this note is NEVER ignored. I do not tolerate Epi either b/c of POTS and other issues and my new dentist 100% understands and agrees with this (but I can't proceed w/needed dental work for other reasons at present)
It was not me who put the note there, it was the dental assistant. The fact that she wrote "Do not even sneak it in" is rather self incriminating, suggesting that the dentist sneaks it in without the patient knowing and more importantly, without patient consent.

Last edited:

Starlight

Sorry to hear of your experience . unless she assures you beforehand that she will use the correct one I would change the dentist. Could you phone a day or two before appointment to clarify that she will use the correct on,and if she agrees remind her again when you visit. I always remind my dentist just in case. They use the one without epinephrine for patients with high blood pressure so it is quite commonly used. Hope you get on well this visit.

Gingergrrl

It was not me who put the note there, it was the dental assistant. The fact that she wrote "Do not even sneak it in" is rather self incriminating, suggesting that the dentist sneaks it in without the patient knowing and more importantly, without patient consent.

Agreed and that is very incriminating for the dentist and thank you for clarifying.

Booble

Re-opening this thread.
I was going to post a new one titled: Dentist: What the HECK was that???

A few weeks ago I had a root canal and on the way home I got a migraine aura ("scintillating scotoma") and my hands were slightly tingly.

Yesterday I had the crown prep and a cavity filling. On the way home at the beginning I was having a little bit of a hard time breathing. My nose and chest felt constricted. Then about 1/2 way home I got the hands tingling again.....but this time the weirdest thing happened. The tingle turned intense and my hands were buzzing and pulsing inside. I don't even have the words to describe it. I've never felt anything like that. It was really intense and really scary. We got home and my heart rate was enormous, not sure if from whatever was happening or fear or both. After awhile they settled down to tingle.
What the hell was that????????????

Gingergrrl

We got home and my heart rate was enormous, not sure if from whatever was happening or fear or both. After awhile they settled down to tingle. What the hell was that????????????

I am so sorry this happened to you @Booble! How are you feeling today? I have two thoughts and the first is what others are saying that the dentist used Epi in the anesthetic. Sometimes in dental work, if they don't inject it properly, there can be an even stronger reaction to the Epi than normal.

My other thought was that you had an allergic/anaphylaxis reaction to another ingredient that was used in the dental work (and these reactions can be delayed and are not always immediate). When I had anaphylaxis in 2015 & 2016, I always had extreme tachycardia as part of the reaction and I often had tingling in my hands (although I was more likely to have tingling of my lips & face).

In an anaphylaxis reaction, the body releases epinephrine to try to fight the reaction so it's possible that you had Epi at the dentist AND then were also allergic to one of the ingredients that was used so your body released even more (natural) Epi to try to fight the allergic reaction. Or it could be something totally different but those were my first thoughts :).

I have been postponing dental work for 4-5 cavities since 2017 (for a multitude of reasons that I won't get into here including the risk of anaphylaxis). At some point, I have to suck it up and just start it but I am absolutely DREADING it and even thinking about it makes me anxious.

Booble

How about gas? In lieu anesthesia? Does anybody try that at dentists? (I never had myself)

Do Not Mention the GAS in my presence.
Booble's childhood trauma. It goes like this:

Booble's parents had 3 young children and needed a nearby dentist. Booble's mother had a dream one night where a ghost like voice said, "Goo tooo Docccctor Zeegal. Gooo tooo Doccctor Zeeegal." So Booble's mother looked in the phone. There was no Dr. Zegal but there was a Dr. Segal. The voice in Boobal's mother's dream must have been the devil because Dr. Segal was doing the job of the devil.
One day Little Booble needed to have cavities filled. Dr. Segal didn't like to use novacaine on children so he gave Little Booble "the gas." He put the rubber smelling thing over Little Booble's nose and very soon Little Booble started feeling really strange. The voice of the dentist....the sound of the drill......it went, "Waah, waah, wahhh" filling her little head. She started to cry and shouted for her mother, "Mummy!! Mummy!! Help me!!"

I can't remember what happened after that except from then on Little Booble had to get her cavities filled without any anesthetic at all. What a miracle it was when she grew up and learned above novacaine that made it so you didn't feel anything.

Booble

I am so sorry this happened to you @Booble! How are you feeling today? I have two thoughts and the first is what others are saying that the dentist used Epi in the anesthetic. Sometimes in dental work, if they don't inject it properly, there can be an even stronger reaction to the Epi than normal.

My other thought was that you had an allergic/anaphylaxis reaction to another ingredient that was used in the dental work (and these reactions can be delayed and are not always immediate). When I had anaphylaxis in 2015 & 2016, I always had extreme tachycardia as part of the reaction and I often had tingling in my hands (although I was more likely to have tingling of my lips & face).

In an anaphylaxis reaction, the body releases epinephrine to try to fight the reaction so it's possible that you had Epi at the dentist AND then were also allergic to one of the ingredients that was used so your body released even more (natural) Epi to try to fight the allergic reaction. Or it could be something totally different but those were my first thoughts :).

I have been postponing dental work for 4-5 cavities since 2017 (for a multitude of reasons that I won't get into here including the risk of anaphylaxis). At some point, I have to suck it up and just start it but I am absolutely DREADING it and even thinking about it makes me anxious.

That's an interesting point about allergic/anaphylaxis. When I first left the dental office I was having a little difficulty breathing as my nose and chest both felt "stuffed." I actually checked my belly for any kind of hives (usually my first sign of allergy) and I looked into my mouth to see if there was any swelling. There wasn't so I thought it would be OK.

I know that I'm not great with adrenaline in general so maybe it was just that.

Did you have an allergic reaction to a dental thing GingerG?

Rufous McKinney

The voice in Boobal's mother's dream must have been the devil because Dr. Segal was doing the job of the devil.

oh, sweetie....how horrible. How unfair, how life ruining.

They got my little girl, I had to work so her Dad took her and he left the room and they tortured my eight year old who has nerve issues like her mother (branching roots which can be very difficult to anesthetize). They entirely tortured her.

And that tooth was ruined at nine. She is still dealing with the wreckage at 38.

I had my appendix removed at 15, sick with this and forced and I am screaming in the steel room. Awake for the whole thing.

These things mess you up. Its a PTSD.

Rufous McKinney

The dental surgeon I met, had no interest in issues with anestizing red heads. Given his lack of concern, well I decided I had a similar lack of interest, in ever going back there. BYE BYE

Rufous McKinney

I know that I'm not great with adrenaline in general so maybe it was just that.

can you husband drive and take you next time? I find that helps me out alot- the moral support and frankly Im too out of it to drive to procedures and frankly I will likely be partially Xanaxed for dental visits.

Its actually sort of a problem. Being out of it at the appointment, stressed and ME-ridden so that combination really sucks.

Booble

oh, sweetie....how horrible. How unfair, how life ruining.

They got my little girl, I had to work so her Dad took her and he left the room and they tortured my eight year old who has nerve issues like her mother (branching roots which can be very difficult to anesthetize). They entirely tortured her.

And that tooth was ruined at nine. She is still dealing with the wreckage at 38.

I had my appendix removed at 15, sick with this and forced and I am screaming in the steel room. Awake for the whole thing.

These things mess you up. Its a PTSD.

Good god, you were awake with anesthetic during an appendix removal?????????
I'm so sorry for your daughter as well.
PTSD is a good way to describe some of this crap.

Booble

can you husband drive and take you next time? I find that helps me out alot- the moral support and frankly Im too out of it to drive to procedures and frankly I will likely be partially Xanaxed for dental visits.

Its actually sort of a problem. Being out of it at the appointment, stressed and ME-ridden so that combination really sucks.

Yes, husband drove me and like a saint he waited the 2-3 hours for me sitting in the car reading his book.