• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bad Gut Bacteria and Multiple Sclerosis

u&iraok

Experiments have shown that mice with no gut microbes show differences in how much they move and in their anxiety-like behavior than mice with normal gut bacteria. Mice treated with "probiotic" Lactobacillus bacteria showed a different gene expression in the brain, reduced anxiety behavior and stress hormone levels than untreated mice.

The effects may extend to diseases that are seemingly unrelated to the digestive system. In the work published today, researchers studied mice bred to develop a disease similar to multiple sclerosis.

Those raised in an environment with no bacteria never developed symptoms. Once typical gut bacteria were introduced, the mice began to show signs of the disease.

"I think what our study really shows is the importance of the gut microbiota in the initial phase of the disease," said Gurumoorthy Krishnamoorthy of the Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics in Freiburg, Germany who led the study with colleague Hartmut Wekerle.

Of course, it's impossible for humans to live a microbe-free lifestyle, but the findings suggest the microbial community may play a role in human multiple sclerosis. The team will now look for specific microbes that may be responsible for triggering symptoms.

http://news.discovery.com/human/gut-bacteria-obesity-111026.html

Enid

Thanks for this interesting find u&iraok - so much confirming GI origins of these overlapping diseases. A real mine of information from PR members for sure.

u&iraok

Isn't is so interesting all the connections they're finding between gut bacteria and different functions? Part of the immune system exists in the intestines gut bacteria is involved in upregulating gluthathione and regulating immune response and Dr. Michael Gerson calls the intestines the Second Brain and has written a book by that same name.

Anxiety, depression, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers and Parkinson's disease manifest symptoms at the brain and the gut level.

Jackie D. Wood, professor of physiology, cell biology and internal medicine at Ohio State, says: "What brains do is control behavior," Dr. Wood said. "The brain in your gut has stored within its neural networks a variety of behavioral programs, like a library. The digestive state determines which program your gut calls up from its library and runs."

The connection between the gut and with stress hormones could be a factor with ME/CFS.

Something Rich posted here in the thread entitled, 'The Difference between ME and MS' where he said that he believes that there are problems with myelin in ME/CFS prompted me to post this article.

xchocoholic

Great article .. Thanks.

It's beginning to look like our gut bacteria play a role in chronic illnesses but I'm not
sure how much. We still have organs like our hearts, livers, adrenals, kidneys, etc that can be damaged by toxins and won't perform as needed.

And we're still going to have nutritional deficiencies if our diets aren't providing these nutrients or if we're missng co-factors for breaking these down.

And then there's age related loss of enzymes, hormones, etc.

And anything else I've forgotten. Lol ..

My doctor told me that it's not one single thing causes my illness, but the combination.
I'm assuming she has patients who JUST have fatigue or dybiosis or petite mals or or
and because they respond to their targetted treatment, she can knows this.

fwiw .. I had lesions on my brain that went away after going on the gfcfsf and
toxin free diet. I'm currently on the paleo / low carb / low glycemic / low oxalate diet. What a diet, eh ? Lol

Dr. Terry Wahls has great ifo on her recovery from ms ..

Tc .. X