• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

bacterial infection detector

ruben

I think this may have been mentioned else where. On BBC last week a programme called "The doctor who gave up drugs" spoke about a gadget which detects if a person has a bacterial infection. Does anyone know if this is easily readily available.

ruben

The doctor in the programme said the machine measures inflammation markers in the blood. It made me think about where someone said that KDM found 90% of people he saw had a bacterial infection.

trishrhymes

The test is almost certainly the c-reactive protein blood test which is one of the most routine blood tests. But the results are usually normal in ME/CFS.

Thank you, I was wondering about it too. It's so helpful to have medical input on things like this, otherwise threads can end up with endless speculation.

ruben

Yes, the initials were CRP, and I think they said a reading over 20 indicated a bacterial infection. I was just wondering then how KDM found 90% of us had a bacterial infection.