• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BACME - Training for UK Medics treating ME/CFS

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
From the summer edition of ME Essential :

"The role of the new British Association for CFS/ME (BACME) in the training of the next generation of doctors and healthcare professionals in ME should be examined by the All Party Parliamentary Group on ME (APPG) when the group reforms after the General Election." (According to 26 local ME support groups)

"They think that BACME – which has apparently taken over as the training forum for NHS staff involved in the care of people with ME/CFS – needs to be more publicly accountable, would benefit from wider patient participation and may be too much under the influence of the psychiatric lobby.

BACME, chaired by consultant paediatrician Dr Esther Crawley, appears to have assumed the functions of what used to be called the CFS/ME Clinical and Research Network and Collaborative (CCRNC) but there is little information available about this change in the public domain."

"Since the last APPG on ME meeting, the “CCRNC Inaugural Research Workshop” was held at St Barts Hospital, London on 7 December. Speakers here included - Professor Peter White, Professor Simon Wessely, Professor Trudie Chalder and two representatives from BACME. "

Full story here :

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1228:parliamentarians-should-examine-role-of-new-nhs-training-forum-for-mecfs&catid=30:news&Itemid=161

For more discussion on BACME :

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?1175-British-Association-for-Chronic-Fatigue-Syndrome-ME-(BACME)-anyone-know-anything

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Apologies.

I see that the story has already been reported in full in the thread referenced above.

Still - I'm surprised there wasn't more reaction?