Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

B6 Puzzle

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by flong, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:20 AM.

1. flong

flong

Here is my B6 serum test, and my B6 Pyridoxic level from the Organic Acids test.
    Does anyone know what would cause such a low level of Pyridoxic acid from the cell when there's apparently plenty of B6 in my blood?
    B6 July 2018.PNG
    B6 OAT.PNG
    *did I post this in the right place?

pamojja likes this.
  2. sb4

sb4 Senior Member

United Kingdom
    I had a very similar result, low B6 as per OAT and Osteopath. I also test normal for blood B6, including a test that measures the enzymatic activity, which is supposed to be more accurate. So I'm not sure what to believe but I'm currently leaning towards have a B6 deficiency.

I suspect it could be caused by anaplerosis compensating for lack of input into the TCA via pyruvate.

Basically, some people with CFS have been shown to have pyruvate dehydrogenase problems, and I also suspect pyruvate carboylase. This means you handle carbs poorly and they cannot be used in the TCA to fuel mitochondria. You need some substrates in the TCA for energy production. If you cannot use glucose then you have to use fat AND protein together to enter the TCA. Using protein in the TCA instead of glucose would use up a lot of B6 as this is a cofactor in anaplerosis enzymes.

Moof, LINE, flong and 1 other person like this.
  3. LINE

LINE

USA
    sb4 brings up some interesting points. There are many nutrients involved in the Krebs cycle, so it is quite possible that something else may be deficient. Activation of the immune system produces quite a bit of stress on the body and many things suffer as a result.

Another idea is that the cell membrane is damaged due to oxidative stress. The oxidative stress comes from activation of the immune system which produces strong oxidants meant to destroy pathogens. Unfortunately, the oxidants damage the cell membrane which leaves it "leaky", meaning it becomes dysregulated.

Antioxidants protect the cell membrane which brings vitality back. Lipid replacement therapy is meant to restore the cell membrane which is made up of certain types of fats, phosphatidylcholine is one of those. Sunflower lecithin contains phosphatidylcholine and other fatty acids could help in that.

flong and sb4 like this.
  4. flong

flong

It's taken me this long to sit down with the info and go over it.
    I think I get it now. It actually makes sense, and it seems like it's a possibility in my case.
    It's interesting to see this stuff and how it works, but I'm still trying to figure out why it's happening. There's a definite gut issue(s), cellular malabsorption of several nutrients like Vitamin C and folate as well. Again, folate is too high in the blood, but the OAT indicates a deficiency.
    Searching for the root cause of the illness, I suppose like everyone else here!

sb4 likes this.
  5. flong

flong

This is facinating. It's funny you mention the cell membrane too. Could the malabsorption at the cellular level be nutrient specific like this? I have a double mutation in the PEMT gene associated with cell membrane issues as well. Looking up the Lipid Replacement therapy you mentioned...
    Attached is a copy of my Organic Acids Test. I understand some of it, but especially the Amino Acids portion I haven't got a clue about. Also the oxidative stress indicators are on the test but I'm not sure what they mean exactly.

Attached Files:

6. LINE

LINE

USA
    I do not have an answer for the question, but I would think this could make an impact. I do know that the membrane is a gateway that allows substances in and out,. For instance there is the sodium channel which allows sodium to move through the cell. https://www.britannica.com/science/cell-biology/Membrane-channels

The test indicates low to very low vitamin C - in the membrane model, it is said that the membrane becomes damaged via oxidative stress - they recommend the fatty acids along with adequate antioxidants. Personally, vitamin C is a powerhouse for me.

flong likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.