• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B6 causing histamine overproduction- ideas?

xena

Hi everyone, I generally am fine with histamine foods but when taking b6, I over produce histamine and feel stuffed up and allergic

However the b6 has good fx, like curing insomnia and improving mood and possibly bile production. So I believe I need it. I'm taking 10 mg p5p daily but its the same or worse with more.

Suggestions on how to deal with or insight into what's going on? I know b6 is involved in both histamine production and breakdown. I'm going to try to reduce my dose of mthf from the present 20 mg daily. But not sure that will preserve other good fx.

dannybex

I believe b6 converts histidine into histamine. Histidine isn't necessarily bad, it's the ratio of zinc and b6 to histidine. In fact some histidine under the tongue can help relieve the stuffiness.

But you're right, it also is supposed to help the diamine oxidase enzyme break down histamine. So perhaps you're missing one of the mineral substrates like copper?

Folinic acid has helped me big time with sleep. Even gives me dreams like b6. I can't tolerate any b6 even though levels tested as normal, so I'm hoping that folate or b12 may help lower the b6, but that's just based on anecdotal evidence...

xena

I believe b6 converts histidine into histamine. Histidine isn't necessarily bad, it's the ratio of zinc and b6 to histidine. In fact some histidine under the tongue can help relieve the stuffiness.

But you're right, it also is supposed to help the diamine oxidase enzyme break down histamine. So perhaps you're missing one of the mineral substrates like copper?

Folinic acid has helped me big time with sleep. Even gives me dreams like b6. I can't tolerate any b6 even though levels tested as normal, so I'm hoping that folate or b12 may help lower the b6, but that's just based on anecdotal evidence...

I think you're right about copper- I have taken it in the past without problems but recently I've been supplement ing zinc withiut copper so I've probably depleted my levels. I ate some liver last night on this suspicion and do feel better already

I'll look up the other cofactors ( do you know them?) and make sure I have them in my diet