• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B3 (niacin) causing intense pancreas pain!

Or maybe liver pain, but I highly think it's pancreas. Niacin is known to make pancreatic β-cells less sensitive to serum glucose.

I induced myself into a over methylation state, so I really need niacin, this is the only thing is helping me. HOWEVER, I'm VERY sensitive to niacin, I can just handle 100mg/day and not more than 3 days. My pancreas start to hurt A LOT.

At first Niacin decreases my Blood glucose, then using through the day it let my BG at 105mg/dl in fasting

This is the only thing that can help me but it's damaging me. I SUSPECT NIACIN CAN CAUSE SOME IMBALANCE IN ANOTHER VITAMIN THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO PANCREAS. SOMEBODY KNOWS HOW TO ALLEVIATE MY SYMPTOMS?

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Irwin - there's a link between low B1 (thiamine) and diabetes. See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3376872/ ("Low plasma thiamine level was noted in type 1 diabetic patients")
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/thiamin

I don't know how to stop overmethylation apart from niacin, though if anxiety is part of your symptoms, you might try l-theanine which helps produce GABA - I'm just guessing here if this will help your symptoms.

But I think there's a very real possibility that B1 either as plain thiamine or benfotiamine may help your blood sugar problems.

Maybe yes, I'll give a try

-> I'm feeling my gut all time contracted. Not my abs muscles, but inside, my gut all time contracts. This also was before niacin.
Somebody knows what it is? Never had gut problems before, and ever my first low potassium symptoms is leg cramps.