• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

b12 to folate ratio?

What should the b12 to folate ratio be regardless of whether you are on a high or low supplement? If one is on high dose methylfolate, what is the appropriate methyl b12 amount?

PeterPositive

I don't think there's a consensus or a straight answer to this question.
Dr Ben Lynch uses a ratio of 1.25 in SeekingHealth's supplements where every 1mg of B12 is accompanied by 800mcg of methylfolate.

Personally I take way more B12 than folate: 6mg methyl-B12, 4mg adeno-B12, 2mg methylfolate. It works okay for me, although my methylation isn't optimal yet and I am still upping the dose slowly.

If you search for "folate B12 ratio" in the search box you will find many discussions about this topic.
E.g. this one:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...io-of-methylfolate-to-mb12-any-insight.32944/

cheers

Critterina

It's going to depends on the person. The 3-legged stool supporting the answer consists of genetics, lifestyle (including diet) and environment.

For example, a MTHFR C677T mutation will increase need for methylfolate. A MTRR A2756G will increase need for methylcobalamin, B12. Other SNPs play into it, too.

Your need for supplement declines with diets that favor foods that contain these chemicals. My attitude "no meal is complete without something green" and "a sandwich consists of lettuce and tomato, is helped out by good bread, and I don't care what else you put in it, but some protein is good" probably says a lot about what vitamins I need, although I no longer tolerate tomatoes, spinach, peppers, and lots of foods that used to be foundational to my diet.

So, sorry, like many things, a "one size fits most" can be a place to start, but it can't be assumed to be a final fix.

daniariete2000

Hi,

but what is the best advise for not incurring in methyl trap or other folates deficiences.
If I take the 1,25 B12/folate ratio of Dr. Lynch and I want to move from this ratio...better increase B12 of methylfolate ? Possible there nothing about this and only try ??

Thanks

PeterPositive

Hi,

but what is the best advise for not incurring in methyl trap or other folates deficiences.
If I take the 1,25 B12/folate ratio of Dr. Lynch and I want to move from this ratio...better increase B12 of methylfolate ? Possible there nothing about this and only try ??
From what I see here, and my own experience, people usually take more B12 than folate.
I've tried increasing both but I soon noticed that I need way more B12 than I need 5-MTHF. If I push the latter too high I get side effects instead of benefits.

My dosage is 10mg Methyl-B12, 6mg Ad-B12, 2.5mg 5-MTHF

Experimentation is required, imo.

daniariete2000

Thanks a lot Peter,

do you know if does exist a supplement with 3 mg of methylfolate ? Or I have to useonly morer tablet of 800 mcg ?