• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 lozenge sweetners and candida

Anteah

Hi, i am new here, so i do apologize if this was already covered somewhere, but i looked and havent been able to find it. I just recently started taking B12 lozenges, which have Sorbitol and Xylitol as sweetners. I let the tablet dissolve under my bottom lip and am doing a good job at keeping from swallowing any, so if I did swallow it was just insignificant amount. My questions is since those sweetners do not pass directly through my GI tract but are absorbed in a blood does that matter any in terms of it feeding my candida. Ive been doing good lately on my anticandida diet and would hate sto slide down just due to these. Has anyone had any experience with Jarrow B12d candida issues? Thanks!

L'engle

moogle
I think in terms of candida it's a pretty small amount. I'm not convinced they are harmless for our teeth though :p

I don't think xylitol feeds candida.

Anteah

Yes i agree about the teeth issue. Jarrow got to figure something better out, than putting citric acid in sublinguals, feels like its eating away at my gums. Thanks for such a fast response!

Adster

Xylitol is actually antifungal, if that helps! Still it would be nice to get some b12 sublinguals without all the flavours and sugars.

Anteah

Thanks guys, it definitely makes it easier taking them now, because I'd hate to fix one thing just to break the other. Have you tried MethylB12 drops from holisticheal or Pure Encapsulation? Can drops even be used subliminally? Is the effectiveness the same? I don't see anyone using them, but everybody still using lozenges, so I think I know the answer, but just in case still want to ask.

L'engle

moogle
The amount of b-12 absorbed is proportional to the amount of time in contact with tissues. Swallowing capsules or drops results in very little absorption.

Good luck!

Anteah

That's what I figured, thanks for confirming it! Do you know by any chance if Methylfolate has to also be dissolved in the mouth? Or can it just be swallowed like a pill? Thanks!

Anteah

Hmm, Solgar one is a pill. Sweet one with mannitol, so it got me thinking. Also I think i remember reading somewhere that someone was using it as a lozenge, just wasn't sure if that was the preferred way, but I guess not, which is actually a good news ;). Thanks!

L'engle

moogle
Methylfolate can absorb just fine swallowing. It's only the b12 that has this problem. Freddd explains it somewhere if you want to search back through thousands of posts, lol!

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I always do mine under the tongue due to effects on the gum. Sublingual means under or beneath the tongue. Between cheek and gum is called Buccal Mucosa. All B-12 that I have seen have said sublingual and is suppose to used under the tongue. I know there are some that say it is more absorbable between cheek and gum. but I have seen no proof of this. I rather keep my gums healthy!

richvank

Hi, all.

I think that the citric acid is added to the sublingual B12 supplements to make the B12 more absorbable. The idea is that the B12 molecule tends to become ionized with a negative charge at the normal pH in the mouth. By adding an acid, the B12 molecules are induced to pick up hydrogen ions and become neutral molecules. Neutral molecules diffuse through lipid membranes much more readily. It's unfortunate, though, that citrate happens to be a wonderful chelator for calcium and thus tends to dissolve the enamel protecting the teeth. Under the tongue at least moves the lozenge away from the teeth a little. Some people have used certain toothpastes or other treatments for the teeth to restore the enamel when it has been thinned.

This is the same principle that is involved in alkalinizing the urine in order to dump toxins better. In that case, the opposite is going on, keeping the toxins negatively charged, so that the kidneys are less likely to reabsorb them, thus encouraging them to be excreted in the urine.

Isn't chemistry wonderful? :) (At least when it's on your side!)

Best regards,

Rich