• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 increases need for magnesium

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@Sherpa and @Rand56
I wil rethink all my reactions under the MAO-A perspective :eek:

How can that be if B2 increases dopamine and serotonin production? Increased dopamine and serotonin are poison to me :grumpy:

It's supposed to also normalize the ability of neurotransmitters to be broken down (normalize MAO activity). I've been on a B-complex and 2 other daily doses of B2 (12.5mg each) for about 2 weeks and I think it's helping.

Last edited:

Rand56

@Sherpa and @Rand56
I wil rethink all my reactions under the MAO-A perspective :eek:

How can that be if B2 increases dopamine and serotonin production? Increased dopamine and serotonin are poison to me :grumpy:

Hopefully someone else can weigh in that may be able to explain it in more detail than me. I do know that MAO is dependent on B2. There may be a certain threshold for people such as me who deal with depression, where too much B2 can possibly make depression worse, That is, if someone gets some relief by inhibiting MAO. I've taken higher doses of B2 before and ended up feeling worse. Right now, I seem to be able to handle 25mg's of B2 per day without negatively effecting me. This probably didn't answer everything you'd like to know..but it's the best "I" can do for ya :thumbdown:

Gondwanaland

@Sherpa and @Rand56
The 1st B complex I took contained 5mg of B12. I got terrible reactions (I labeled as ammonia at the time, which can actually be true) from both upping it to 8mg and lowering to 2mg. No wi can see how it can be explained. I wonder if I should take it alone, because at this point I can't tolerate a B complex. Curiously, after a certain point when I didn't know what else to do to fight worsening symptoms, I started taking citalopram. I took 5mg of citalopram and felt awful, then 10mg and felt great, then 15mg and awful again, then back to 10mg and better, but not great as the 1st time :rolleyes:

Apparently my experience with MB12 and MB9 made my neurotransmitter production unmanageable by my +/+MAO-A:thumbdown:

Gondwanaland

I've never been able to tolerate a B-complex. Thru trial and error my 2 evil culprits, are higher amounts of B2 and Niacinamide. I am ok on only 50 mg's of Niacinimide. I end up taking more than that, I feel worse.
When I switched from 30mg of niacinamide to niacin in my Bcomp I felt much better.

Sherpa

@Sherpa and @Rand56
Apparently my experience with MB12 and MB9 made my neurotransmitter production unmanageable by my +/+MAO-A:thumbdown:

yes, I had this experience. Couldn't take large doses of B12 or even small ones of B9 - neurotransmitter overload.

Supplementing B2 for a few weeks seemed to have transformed this somewhat! I can take larger doses and feel "better" from them, not worse.

mgk

These side effects are for MAO Inhibitors - which is the similar to having your MAO A enzyme production inhibited by a homozygous mutation
I can relate to a lot of the things on that list: chest pain, severe headache, stiff neck, dry mouth, constipation, muscle aches, paresthesia. Some of them were resolved with magnesium (though I still have to take a lot). I'm now wondering if they would be better addressed with MAO improvement.

The stiff neck especially is the bane of my existence. It's this constant pain on the back of my neck that seems to "spread" down into my arms and into my wrists. My wrists hurt a lot too. I have these kinds of hotspots all over my body, but my neck and wrists are by far the biggest ones. Other ones include: sternum, lower back, hips, ankles.

I already take a multi with a decent amount of B2 (25mg). I'm definitely going to try taking a separate B2 supplement to see if it helps though. Thank you!

Sherpa

@mgk Good luck - I posted more info on my experience with B2 in my protocol (link in sig)

mgk

@Sherpa I started taking some extra B2 a few days ago and I can already tell that it's a big part of the puzzle for me. So far it's helped significantly with psychological issues like depression, brain fog, anxiety. I used to have to take large amounts of folate to get the same effect and it never lasted more than a few hours. Not only is this more effective, but it doesn't seem to go away! I'm really surprised that it's helping so much because I've been taking B2 as part of a multi and a B complex ever since I started.

I also stumbled on another one of riboflavin's roles that makes it especially important for people like me who have the thalassemia trait:
Similarly, riboflavin (vitamin B-2) deficiency is accompanied by increased hemolysis due to lack of a protective compound generated by an enzyme containing riboflavin. (source)

It feels like this is just the beginning and I'm excited to see what else it's going to help with. Thank you again!

Sherpa

@mgk awesome, so glad to hear its working for you! B2 allows me to react normally to all kinds of supplements I used to over react to...with anxiety and overstimulation

ahmo

I've now been using the coenzymated sublingual form of B2, FMN, for about 2 weeks. I reacted terribly to adding B2. This FMN seems to be amazing. I've decreased many of my supps, no longer fighting peroxynitrite, no longer needing huge amount of antioxidants. I've been intending to post a bit longer version of my experience, but your experiences prompted me to post herenow. :)

mgk

I've now been using the coenzymated sublingual form of B2, FMN, for about 2 weeks. I reacted terribly to adding B2. This FMN seems to be amazing. I've decreased many of my supps, no longer fighting peroxynitrite, no longer needing huge amount of antioxidants. I've been intending to post a bit longer version of my experience, but your experiences prompted me to post herenow. :)
I wonder if you reacted badly because of the under-active thyroid (from your signature). I read that thyroid hormones are needed to convert riboflavin to the active FMN. So maybe taking riboflavin was reducing them even further?

That's great though, I can't wait to read your post on it. Quick question if you don't mind: how long did it take for you to start seeing results?

ahmo

@mgk I use thyroid replacement, T3. I've been using the same dosage when I introduced each of the B2. In the first instance, certainly I was playing with too high a dose of B2: I started w/ a full 100mg cap, then tried reducing it to 50mg, as opposed to the 18mg FMN.I always forget, this is in addition to the 25mg R5P in my multi-B.

I thought I'd waited 2 weeks to report this, but when I look at my diary, I see that it's only been 10 days. I see my note on day 2: I think this is Huge...a new calm I believe, + stamina. As I look through my notes, I see that from the next day I was using less antioxidants and mast cell/histamine supps. I've also reduced the molybdenum I was using to counteract peroxynitrite (&/or ammonia) from 5 BID to 3 BID. My note on day 2: I feel like I've taken off a leaden overcoat.

Last edited:

shannah

I'm a little confused on the differences between two of the three forms of B2.

I know one is the active form while the other is a form which requires conversion in the body. But within the active forms, there appear to be two types. One is the form of B2 called R-5-P and the other is a form called FMN, which is the one @ahmo is having good results with. Both are active coenzymes.

When I look up riboflavin, it says riboflavin is the central component of the cofactors FAD and FMN.

Does the R-5-P contain both the FMN and the FAD components while the Source Naturals product contains only one of the components???

Other than the Source Naturals FMN being sublingual, can anyone shed light on what I'm missing here?