• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 deficiency symptoms after two hours after taking 5mg Methyl-B12 with moderate work

I have these symptoms after 2 hours or less of taking 5mg MB12 while at work ( physical job). This has been like this ever since starting it. taking potassium wont help it but only more MB12 will. It will stretch a little furthur when at home, but still remains a problem. Symptoms include slowly increasing malaise, decreasing coordination with hands, and similiar. After six hours this becomes confusion and stiffness. At ten- twelve hours it becomes extremely bad and I dont want to move without extreme stiffness of ALL muscles.

What is going on here exactly? After Twelve hours without supplementing I got a homocysteine/ methylmalonic test and got:
HOMOCYSTEINE
21.2 HIGH <11.4 umol/L 01

METHYLMALONIC ACID, GC/MS/MS
METHYLMALONIC ACID, GC/MS/MS 142
87-318 nmol/L
METHYLMALONIC ACID, GC/MS/MS, URINE
METHYLMALONIC ACID, GC/MS/MS, URINE0.9
0.3-1.9 mmol/mol creat
CREATININE, RANDOM URINE 5.432.38-26.55 mmol/L

I began takign metlyfolate too lately to help the homocysteine level. B12 symptoms retun roughly the same way after 1.5-two hours.

Any help would be nice thanks!

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Taking oral sublingual B12 is not very effective. For me it only lasts 1 to 2 hours (absolute max). Very, very little of it goes to the brain.

Your better option for long-lasting B12 effect is injection or transdermal spray.

I have been getting much better results with transdermal B12 Oil - methylbobalmin / adenosylcobalmin mix. This product, rubbed into the skin, lasts for at least 6 to 8 hours of B12 released steadily into the bloodstream. I feel an 'afterglow' even the next day. The product is shipped from Australia. It costs about $1 per dose.

Also...be careful taking too much potassium. If you don't need it and you take too much, it can make things worse.

Are you taking magnesium? I find it very helpful for relieving muscle pain. I take Jigsaw magnesium. It's time-released and has time relased methylfolate.

The time release magnesium & methylfolate + the time released B12 (oil) is really, really helping me.

Last edited:

Helen

I have these symptoms after 2 hours or less of taking 5mg MB12 while at work ( physical job). This has been like this ever since starting it. taking potassium wont help it but only more MB12 will. It will stretch a little furthur when at home, but still remains a problem. Symptoms include slowly increasing malaise, decreasing coordination with hands, and similiar. After six hours this becomes confusion and stiffness. At ten- twelve hours it becomes extremely bad and I dont want to move without extreme stiffness of ALL muscles.

What is going on here exactly? After Twelve hours without supplementing I got a homocysteine/ methylmalonic test and got:
HOMOCYSTEINE
21.2 HIGH <11.4 umol/L 01

METHYLMALONIC ACID, GC/MS/MS
METHYLMALONIC ACID, GC/MS/MS 142
87-318 nmol/L
METHYLMALONIC ACID, GC/MS/MS, URINE
METHYLMALONIC ACID, GC/MS/MS, URINE0.9
0.3-1.9 mmol/mol creat
CREATININE, RANDOM URINE 5.432.38-26.55 mmol/L

I began takign metlyfolate too lately to help the homocysteine level. B12 symptoms retun roughly the same way after 1.5-two hours.

Any help would be nice thanks!

I agree with @Sherpa that B12-injections (not cyano- but methyl- or hydroxycobalamin) would probably be a better alternative for you. Your high homocysteine indicate a severe deficiency of B12 and/or B6 and/or folate. Hard physical work "consumes" more B12 than resting which could explain your symptoms from that.

I hope you can get a proper treatment for your deficiency(-ies) from your doctor. Maybe you also belong to those/us who need to continue with supplementation to keep your homocysteine within normal range once your deficiency (-ies) are treated. Could the muscle stiffness you get depend on low potassium? I would get it checked. A cardiologist told me that it should be around the upper reference range. Best of luck!