• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12, B1 or Copper?

I have been taking a B-Complex for years since I developed a deficiency in B2 and another B vitamin I cannot remember. Over the last 4 months I recently started tapering off my dosage and taking it every other day.. I started slowly declining in health with my energy levels leg weakness and take constant tingling in my feet. I decided to have all my B vitamin level check but unfortunately I have not been off the B complex long enough to get any accurate readings so everything came back normal.

I also had my copper levels checked which were near the bottom of the range but still normal. I decided to experiment with vitamin B12 but I understand the symptoms can be similar with B1 and copper deficiencies. B12 seems to be the most common deficiency so I decided that would be the best route to try first. I noticed immediately on a very low dose of 400 MCG I got a lot of energy the first time I took it. After about day 3 I noticed it started to make me extremely tired. From all the research that I've done I've noticed that it's important to get certain cofactors along with B12 to ensure you reap the benefits and limit the side effects. I am currently taking a multivitamin a B complex.

The multivitamin has 400 folic acid I am currently taking 400 MCG B12 a day broken into 100 MCG tablets. I spread the dosage out throughout the day. I'm trying to get my magnesium from foods like nuts. Doesn't seem to be helping with my fatigue issue. I am also trying to get my potassium from dietary sources such as coconut water and bananas. Being that I'm taking such a low dose of B12 I'm surprised I am still very fatigued. I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing because I will never get an accurate testing for B vitamins unless I quit them for 6 to 12 weeks. I'm not sure if I should add a calcium magnesium supplement. My vitamin D is coming from the multivitamin which is 1000 IU.

So far I've only been doing this for a week yesterday my energy level seems better but I'm also experiencing dizziness balance issues leg weakness arm weakness poor sleep at night jittery hands. It's difficult to pinpoint what symptoms are from the B vitamin deficiency or possibly a magnesium deficiency. I know magnesium is instrumental in maintaining potassium levels. When I had all my electrolytes tested they work in normal range and potassium was near the high-end. Any advice you can provide is welcome. I understand this is only been a week and I'm probably getting frustrated too soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention i am having my ferritin levels checked soon. I have had an issue with fatigue for awhile now so maybe it seems worse. I know its a long road to recovery but without knowing for sure i have a b12 deficien y it could lead to a dead end.

Learner1

Standard labs for vitamins are not very useful. Given your conundrum and symptoms, doing a comprehensive test like a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval would be a very good idea. I do it on supplements and find I get accurate results which my doctor and I use to guide my treatment. It is supposed to reflect the last 90 days of nutrient status, so daily intake doesn't really matter. (And I know what the instructions say, but my family and I have bern using it annually for 9 years...)