• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 and pneumococcal vaccine

aprilk1869

This is a study that was referenced in Could it be B12? but it's not a study I've seen mentioned here so I though I would post it as I feel it could have massive implications for many people.

Impaired Antibody Responses to Pneumococcal Polysaccharide in Elderly Patients with Low Serum Vitamin B12 Levels

Abstract

Objective: To determine whether immunocompetent elderly patients with low serum vitamin B12 levels have impaired serum antibody responses to the 23-polyvalent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine.

Design: Controlled, prospective cohort study.

Measurements: 15 patients with low serum vitamin B12 levels and 15 age- and diagnosis-matched patients with normal levels were vaccinated. Serum antibody titers to 12 pneumococcal serotypes were measured by radioimmunoassay before and 4 weeks after vaccination.

Results: The difference between the geometric mean of the vaccine antibody titers before and after vaccination for all 12 serotypes was lower (P = 0.005) in the patients with low vitamin B12 levels than in the patients with normal levels. When mean corpuscular volume and age were controlled for, vitamin B12 remained an independent predictor of antibody response (P = 0.005). Erythrocyte mean corpuscular volume was also an independent predictor of the increase in titer (P = 0.03).

Conclusions: Patients with low vitamin B12 levels had impaired antibody responses to pneumococcal vaccine. Further study is necessary to determine whether treatment with vitamin B12 can enhance specific immunoglobulin synthesis and improve the clinical efficacy of the pneumococcal vaccine in patients with low vitamin B12 levels.

http://www.annals.org/content/124/3/299.short

aprilk1869

I found a link to the full study here: www.annals.org/content/124/3/299.full.pdf

What I'm concerned about is the wider implications. For instance, a lot of parents say their children developed autism after the MMR vaccine. What if that happened because their b12 levels were low and they weren't able to deal with the vaccine?

Also, there are lots of vaccines being given to Africans. If these people are poor and can't afford to eat much food rich in B12, will the vaccines give them the proper protection they need?

I wish this was an area studied more but unfortunately I can't find any more studies relating to low b12 + vaccines.