• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 and depression

boo85

Anyone here have any experience with coming out of depression by taking B12?

I've felt really bad lately and just need some people's success stories...

Also, if you have come out of a dark depression by using B12, did you ever relapse? Like, did you gradually have good days, then some bad days then more good days until the good days outweighed the bad?

Johnmac

Well I woke the last couple of mornings feeling fairly dark, & putting 1mg of mB12 under my lip lifted me out of it both times. I'm coming out of having apparently taken too much m-folate tho, plus I'm not you.

Martial

Anyone here have any experience with coming out of depression by taking B12?

I've felt really bad lately and just need some people's success stories...

Also, if you have come out of a dark depression by using B12, did you ever relapse? Like, did you gradually have good days, then some bad days then more good days until the good days outweighed the bad?

Are you taking vitamin D? Low vitamin D is often as much a culprit as low b12, be sure to take methyl b12 on an empty stomach at least twenty minutes before meals. You also need methyl folate taken twenty minutes after the b12 to aid in absorption and processing for cells. I had severe depression from lyme disease which got better with treatment. I would change emotions like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. I would at times feel fine, then others feeling rageful, depressed, severely agitated, etc.. It was a pretty strange ordeal to be honest. The best thing to do is nothing, just accept it for what it is and let it be there. It fades on its own in time, it is just a passing emotion after all. Sorry to hear you have been feeling so down :(

helen1

My 23 year old son came out of a horrible, completely debilitating depression six months ago after taking fairly high doses of B12. He took 10-20 mg a day (Country Life and Enzy Th brands) and got well enough to apply for summer jobs. Over the summer he had an active outside job and found he needed much less. We've concluded from that and from his methylation SNPs he needs lots of Vit D and lots of B12. I've also got him taking a B complex and he says that helps too. He does not have CFS and except for a couple of these devastating depressive episodes he's very healthy and fit.