• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Awful new symptom: nerve hypersensitivity

snowathlete

I have anew symptom which is like an over sensitivity - over awareness - of physical stimulus. In particular a massive awareness of my feet touching the ground. But other parts of my body too, but I'd say that's the worst bit. It's really overwhelming. I've had it today for the third or fourth time, the first around a month ago.

I currently have no strategy for dealing with this, other than to take my feet off the floor but I can't float my whole body. Has anyone else got this? What might I do about it?

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
It could be any number of things of course and I don't want to focus on the scary but the sensation could be a type of epileptic seizure called complex partial. Not all epilepsy is about the classic jerking/loss of consciousness.

While neurology slots this in the epilepsy category I'm not sure the nomenclature will hold.

With any luck it will just go away on it's own whatever it is.

Countrygirl

I have anew symptom which is like an over sensitivity - over awareness - of physical stimulus. In particular a massive awareness of my feet touching the ground. But other parts of my body too, but I'd say that's the worst bit. It's really overwhelming. I've had it today for the third or fourth time, the first around a month ago.

I currently have no strategy for dealing with this, other than to take my feet off the floor but I can't float my whole body. Has anyone else got this? What might I do about it?

During the course of the illness.I have experienced bouts of altered sensitivity of the soles of my feet that made soft carpet feel like rough sandpaper when I walked across the room. It was not pleasant. It was though my brain was misinterpreting the sensory input . Does this sound familiar? It always cleared up of its own accord and is just one more of the bizarre symptoms that this disease inflicts on us.

snowathlete

During the course of the illness.I have experienced bouts of altered sensitivity of the soles of my feet that made soft carpet feel like rough sandpaper when I walked across the room. It was not pleasant. It was though my brain was misinterpreting the sensory input . Does this sound familiar? It always cleared up of its own accord and is just one more of the bizarre symptoms that this disease inflicts on us.
Similar yes, not quite the same but then it's not easy to describe. I really hope it passes on it's own and doesn't come back.

Thinktank

Are you using any meds that can cause neuropathy?
Is it just your feet or do you also feel a tingling feeling in other body parts? Especially the hands / arms.

barbc56

Do you have Fibromyalgia? That's kind of how my FM started. Maybe a bit different. Mine is experienced as whole body sensitivity. I call it the Princess and the Pea syndrome.

I have heard, so take this for what it's worth that CFS/ME can like a lot of other things, can cause FM.

Barb

snowathlete

Are you using any meds that can cause neuropathy?
Is it just your feet or do you also feel a tingling feeling in other body parts? Especially the hands / arms.

I don't think so. I'm on a couple of meds but both longterm. I get the sensation elsewhere as well, though it is not a tingling sensation, it's more a natural sensation at an unatural level, I'd say.

snowathlete

Do you have Fibromyalgia? That's kind of how my FM started. Maybe a bit different. Mine is experienced as whole body sensitivity. I call it the Princess and the Pea syndrome.

I have heard, so take this for what it's worth that CFS/ME can like a lot of other things, can cause FM.

Barb

I haven't so far as I know, but that is an interesting question and interesting to hear what you said about the princess and the pea thing, similar, for sure.