• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Avoiding folic acid

I'm getting tempted to refine the SMP to avoid all folic acid. Taking just 2 of the yasko multis gives such a low amount of the basics. I can tolerate 6 but if I spread them out across the day as I want to, I can't avoid taking folic acid (in the multi) at a similar time to the folinic and methylmate b. If they compete for absorption as I understand this seems undesirable. Then there's the whole glutathione and precursors avoidance issue - I have no idea if this is a problem for me but id rather not take the chance to be honest.

So getting rid of the folic would involve buying a load of separate supplements and it's a bit bewildering. I can't even find a b vit complex at iherb without folic acid. Then there's all the minerals!! Aargh!!

Could anyone who has gone this route please share their supps (especially brands) and dosages. If available at iherb even better. Even with customs charges at uk their prices are much better than uk.

Another positive as I see it from going this route is that I can increase individual supps on a trial basis and see what my body needs.

As an aside, can I ask rich if the amino acid plasma result recommendations for supps -I have seen a sample report which shows recommendations for amounts of lots of shops - are reliable?

maddietod

You could buy the supplements Freddd recommends (minus the b12s and folate). Rich says this leaves out some things that Dr. Yasko believes are beneficial, but it's an easy way to figure out what to sub for the multi.

You're right about the multi-B. Freddd recommends 2; I bought the Douglas Labs one.

I'm waiting on results of blood work before deciding if the folinic acid in Holistic Health's multi is bad for me or not.

Madie

Madie - thanks. Looking at Freddds protocol for ideas makes sense. I wonder what blood work you are waiting for to help you?

April- I hadnt seen that b complex and from the uk too! Thanks :) I'll think about the options.

anne_likes_red

...And for minerals (I stopped the Yasko NHF too) I buy the ones I need separately.
Most are in capsule form and I need to split the zinc (I sprinkle half over a meal, re-cap and take the rest at another meal)...but the others are simple enough. I tend to use Twinlab, Life Extension and Bluebonnet for those. Whatever's a good price and the right dose. I take a lot of magnesium in different forms, including chloride oil.

In my case I decided it might be useful to be able to increase or decrease individual elements.

HTH Anne.

Annelikesred - thanks so much. The AOR contains quite high amounts of methylb12 and folate - at least compared to the SMP. I wonder did u jump straight from SMP to that and did things change for you?

I have doubled my hydroxyb12 and methylmate and my skin has improved but still not as great as when I started. I can't understand it. My neck is also now not as good as initially - big frown. When I take either the b12 or the methylmate things improve a bit but not amazingly as before. I feel like slurping the entire bottles ;)