• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autoimmune treatment hope

Ecoclimber

http://sciencealert.com.au/news/20132701-23998.html

Autoimmune treatment hope
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
Monday, 28 January 2013

When a patient has autoimmune disease, two proteins, Bax and Bak, are faulty in certain immune cells, causing them to live on after they should have died. But a newly developed drug could kill these cells, potentially helping to treat the disease.

Henrik5000_WhiteBloodCellsBig_iStock.jpg

When a patient has autoimmune disease, two proteins, Bax and Bak, are faulty in certain immune cells, causing them to live on after they should have died. But a newly developed drug could kill these cells, potentially helping to treat the disease.
Image: Henrik5000/iStockphoto

Melbourne researchers have discovered that the death of immune system cells is an important safeguard against the development of diseases such as type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, which occur when the immune system attacks the body’s own tissues.

The finding suggests that these so-called autoimmune diseases could be treated with existing medications that force long-lived immune system cells to die.

Eco

Persimmon

WEHI has a fantastic track record - breakthrough after breakthrough in immunology. (I'll post something separate on WEHI.) Hopefully this new finding will prove to be biggie, and one that directly helps us.

Lynn

I wonder if this could be the reason that Rituximab works for a while in some patients. Maybe it kills off the cells that have been impacted by Bax and Bak proteins and gives the body a chance to heal. It might also explain the relapse afterwords as well.

Lynn

Jenny

Another cancer drug that could be helpful. Sometimes I think getting cancer may not be such a bad thing for us - then perhaps we could get some treatment - what with this and rituximab.

Daffodil

cancer drugs are helpful for all kinds of things but its never a permanent solution :-/

Waverunner

Another cancer drug that could be helpful. Sometimes I think getting cancer may not be such a bad thing for us - then perhaps we could get some treatment - what with this and rituximab.

I just posted news about a new drug, that could treat asthma at the underlying cause of the disease. Originally it was developed for cancer as well.