• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Australian scientists make breakthrough in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome testing

alex3619

I do not take a standard resveratrol dose. I take 600mg once every four days or as needed. Right now I am off resveratrol, to see how that alters things. Since quitting wheat my need for resveratrol has dramatically reduced anyway.

PS I should probably say something about my resveratrol protocol . 300mg did nothing for me. 600mg was adequate and obvious. However the adequate response persists for three to four days unless I eat wheat, which may shorten the time.

Last edited:

Deltrus

Just continued my line of thought from yesterday, editting my previous post, I think it is a quality post this time! My proposed pathology is laid out, and perhaps I can start analyzing it and think of potential treatments.

So far I think that reducing the calcium influx at the source is the best possibility, but somehow increasing outward Na flow in cells would also be good, albeit less energy efficient in terms of ATP.

It is also very difficult because I assume the body has already upregulated pathways to remove Na, as much as it can, and pushing Na out is going against the ion concentration gradient.

However balancing intracellular Na and K would fix most problems according to my theory, even if we have to force things, and create a bigger demand on atp.

Last edited:

Justin30

So do you think that Gabapentin being a calcium channel blocker would have a substandial affect?

And then increasing sodium and potassium through home made electrolyte drinks etc. Which would also help with POTS.

My only concern is that most of ME'ers are supposedly deficient in essential minerals and trace minerals.

@Deltrus i wonder if it would make sense to get vitamin, mineral and amino acid testing done? To find defficiencies treat those then start manipulating pathways.....??

I could totally be misinterpretting your hypothesis....to

Deltrus

I'm afraid it isn't that easy. You can't just throw electrolytes at this problem. If you supplement Na, which is too high inside the cell, it will simply make the problem worse, or do nothing. It takes energy to move the ions up an ion gradient. You have to stimulate your body to do it.

You also can't stop the source of the positive ions, there is a genetic upregulation, so blocking the source would just upregulate it even further. This is the case with gabapentin/phenibut etc.

I'l make a post in a week, I want to make a quality post rather than just making 100 random points and theories. I have a good idea I think.

EDIT: I also should add that this is an intracellular disorder. You can't blood test ion concentration inside cells.

Last edited:

Sea

I'l make a post in a week, I want to make a quality post rather than just making 100 random points and theories. I have a good idea I think.
Please start a new thread and leave this one for discussion of the Griffith Uni test. You could even ask a moderator to move the other posts you've made and people's responses to the new thread too.

halcyon

Unfortunately neither study's main miRNA biomarker candidates match any candidates in the other study. There doesn't seem to any matches between the wider (less useful) selection of candidates either. It's unfortunate for there to be no matches, but I haven't carefully studied the methodological differences between the studies and that may potentially explain the differences, so it doesn't necessarily mean there's no potential for these biomarkers. I still find it interesting, and it's early stages in this research. It demonstrates why replication is necessary.
So it looks like the Australians published a paper in 2014 that covered their miRNA findings in the patent application. There is a large difference between how they tested vs. how Kerr's group tested. The Australians were looking at circulating miRNAs in plasma, whereas Kerr's group were looking at miRNAs expressed by isolated PBMCs. This would probably explain the total lack of correlation between the two studies.

As far as I can tell there is still no indication which exact finding they intend to use for the basis of their screening test. The articles quoting Don Staines say that it will be the SNP findings but the official press release doesn't say one way or the other. The other confusing part is that several of the articles link to their paper on NK cell markers as the published research backing up the test, which makes no mention of SNPs.

Deltrus

Please start a new thread and leave this one for discussion of the Griffith Uni test. You could even ask a moderator to move the other posts you've made and people's responses to the new thread too.
Yeah I'm making a new thread. Sry guys keep the thread on track, focus on their stuff. That is, their testing method and identified problem mutations in the transient ion channel receptors.

IMHO, the similarity of symptoms in a bunch of illnesses:
M.E.; M.S.; organophosphate related ones; possibly Lupus and some others,
suggests to me that there is a single common "pathway" in the immune system being screwed up
and the variations in the initial cause and effects it *uniquely* has on the body over all, and then genetics, plus possible damage in various ways from environmental causes (long term heavy metal exposure for example)
possibly a retrovirus or the like being the prime thing that makes a specific weakness in the immune system "pathway"
results in a myriad of very similar health problems

We've been to used to the simple "mechanistic" dogma of the Cult of Health and Big Business, (indeed, of our societies):
one simple disease, one drug to cure it
Reality is NOT like that. There are always so many subtleties, synergies and knock on effects etc that have been overlooked.
A sort of simple and deadly example is the horrible cocktail of syphilis, HIV and Tuberculosis in the poor in the USA. Resulting in immune compromised and deeply troubled and screwed up people which then gives rise to extremely dangerous resistant and communicable TB.
Simple mechanistic experimentation in a laboratory will usually not show such things.

So, with the mindset of "simple obvious cause, then provide specific approved medicine to treat"
the medical Profession has had entirely the wrong view point about a lot of health problems.
Thus when a patient presents with something they cannot explain easily, the cultural stand by is: "well the tests cannot be wrong therefor the patient must be making it up!"
Which in real Science is bullshit: if you cannot understand something but are presented with clear obvious mass of evidence, then your Theories and/or detection/measurement equipment must lack, and then you work on it but do not dismiss it!
Took astrophysicists decades to work out what a quasar probably is, and the smart ones will know they do NOT "know" what it truly is even now, just best evidence suggests what it probably is, until we can reach one and see it's formation with our own eyes there's no "proof", just evidence and hypothesis.

We don't know what diabetes truly is, as we don't know what causes the autoimmune attack, but we're getting closer. There is no cure as yet, but some therapies look like they may offer such in the foreseeable future. Not merely treatment, but actual cure.
that's after vast sums of money and research and decades of work on this very common deadly disease many Humans suffer from
The colossal arrogance and stupidity of dismissing "stealth"/unusual illnesses to the realms of "they are making it up", is outrageous

Yeah, this is what we look for in a doctor or anyone at all when the subject is brought up. I look for the recognition of what science does and doesn't understand. The possibilies of future diagnosis. The ability to look beyond the idea that you either 'test positive or it's not real'.
I wanted this biomarker to be 'real' as well.