• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Australian Red Cross: UNOFFICIAL ME/CFS donation ban

parvofighter

An unofficial report of the Australian Red Cross on ME/CFS eligibility to give blood. Anyone want to dig into this to verify? The Australian Red Cross website has nothing posted yet on XMRV, or ME/CFS: http://www.redcross.org.au/search/r...gqjkmhe&q=xmrv&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&cof=FORID:11#204

This from our Aussie friends: http://www.mecfs.org.au/?q=node/81
10th December 2009
The Australian Red Cross is advising people who have been diagnosed with or suspected of having ME/CFS not to donate blood. An email from the Red Cross to a potential donor on the 10th of December 2009 indicated:

"Current advice within the Australian Red Cross Blood Service is that chronic fatigue syndrome patients are not eligible to give blood until the condition is resolved and recovery confirmed by a treating doctor." (TAKE ME TO THIS DOCTOR!)

The current advice from UK Blood Services in relation to ME/CFS has been further clarified: "Individuals suffering from ME/CFS are deferred from blood donation until their condition has resolved and they are feeling completely well."
(DOES ANYONE ELSE FIND THESE LAST WORDS SADLY HUMOROUS?;))

K

Katie

The current advice from UK Blood Services in relation to ME/CFS has been further clarified: "Individuals suffering from ME/CFS are deferred from blood donation until their condition has resolved and they are feeling completely well."[/I] (DOES ANYONE ELSE FIND THESE LAST WORDS SADLY HUMOROUS?;))

The thing is that this was the policy in the UK before XMRV. They haven't changed at all in respects to a retrovirus remaining 'post-recovery'. Retroviruses aren't curable, I don't think they seem to get that. XMRV changed nothing here.

I'm in Australia and phoned the Red Cross 8 or 9 years ago, during a period when they were very low on blood, to ask if I could donate and was told that ME/CFS patients could not.

I wonder if they are actively asking donors if they have ME or if they are relying on individuals to take responsibility.

If I have time next week, I may phone the Red Cross in my city and try to clarify the situation.

Bec

ramakentesh

A friend donated blood In Australia a week ago and he said that CFS was never raised - they asked him whether he had ever tested positive for infectious diseases I think.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
hi

Ive never thought of giving blood incase i passed cfs onto someone else. Even without an official diagnosis of cfs, having elevated lymphocytes should make them think i have some type of infection going on.

I have often wondered about a few docs i have seen who say im just depressed and cfs is crap, if they would take a blood transfusion from me, lol.
That way they could walk in someone elses shoes and maybe make a better doc of them, thats if they had the energy to work, lol

ramakentesh

HAHA - yeah ' Id say - ok if its all in my head take a blood transfusion from me AND some of my IVIG antibodies' (just to make sure).