• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Attentional bias for health-threat in CFS/ME following depressed mood" Alexeeva & Martin (abstract)

Dolphin

http://www.ehps2015.org/files/EHPS2015_Conference_Abstracts_27082015.pdf

29th Conference of the European Health Psychology Society

Poster Presentation Abstracts

Attentional bias for health-threat in CFS/ME following depressed mood

I. Alexeeva1
M. Martin 2

1 University of Oxford, United Kingdom
2 University of Oxfprd, United Kingdom

Background

A cognitive account of the persistence of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
(CFS/ME) proposes amplified attention towards somatic information may distort symptom perception
and maintain symptoms.

Negative mood may further affect cognitive processing by dwelling on healththreat further amplifying attention to symptoms.

The study aims to measure an attentional bias towards health-threat in CFS/ME following a depressed or neutral mood induction.

Methods

16 CFS/ME and 34 healthy and 29 asthma participants completed an attentional task that measured
allocation and shifting of attention in response to health-threat or neutral information.

Findings

CFS group similar to healthy controls, but unlike asthma, is showing an attentional bias towards
healththreat F (2, 61) = 4.06, p = .022, ηp2 = .118.

Against the prediction, the negative mood appears to decrease the magnitude of the attentional bias in CFS participants.

Discussion

Attentional bias manifests under the higher mental load for CFS/ME and healthy individuals, but not
for asthma.

Depressed mood decreases the bias, against the expectation that it would amplify the focus on somatic symptoms.

Sean

Depressed mood decreases the bias, against the expectation that it would amplify the focus on somatic symptoms.

Oh dear, naughty evidence not agreeing with the grand theory.

Oh double dear, and this evidence too!

Curse that independent minded evidence. Quick, sweep it under the rhetorical carpet.