• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Aterations/loss of certain tastes?

Diwi9

Administrator
Yes, less flavor all around. I know it is tied to smell as I seem hyper-sensitive to some smells that seem noxious and overwhelming, while others I cannot detect.

PennyIA

Agreed, it seems transient and when I have flare ups I notice it more. Usually it means that some favored flavors loose some of the 'punch' and become more bland...

Diwi9

Administrator
@Snow Leopard - It's like PennyIA described. There is a lack of complexity of taste, which I believe is smell related. I can still taste sweet/salty/bitter, but flavor is missing. This phenomenon is coupled with loss of smell with contemporaneous noxious smell. For example, last night I had a flare and my husband heated up some chili, there was something in it that I continued to smell for about 3 hours in the house. I sprayed a lavender spray for linens to cover the noxious smell. The lavender scent is normally strong to me, and I couldn't smell it at all. This effect is gone today.