• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Win money for ME/CFS Research II: The 1.25 million Vivint Facebook Contest

There are actually 6 winners, not 5. Cort can you change your article to reflect this?

The eligible Charity receiving the most votes will be considered the overall winner of the Program. After the overall winner has been identified, the eligible Charity from each of the 5 regions receiving the most votes will be the regional winner of the Program.

So there will be an overall winner with $250k, then five $100k winners, one from each of the 5 regions.

So if WPI came in second in Pacific, but the first place in Pacific was also the overall winner, WPI would still get $100k. However, last year Utah Prader Willi (Mountain) was the overall winner.

I think right now we should concentrate on getting everyone who is not on Facebook, signed up for Facebook and also signed up the to the WPI voting reminder link.

Then we can hopefully start off with a bang on day one and keep the momentum going.

I'm going to change my signature to reflect this.

There are actually 6 winners, not 5. Cort can you change your article to reflect this?

So there will be an overall winner with $250k, then five $100k winners, one from each of the 5 regions.

Hi Caledonia - My understanding is that the overall winner gets $250k and the winners of the remaining regions each get $100k.

ETA: It says on their site, "The charity that has earned the most overall votes will then be awarded $250,000. The remaining charities that earn the most from each of the regions will each receive a $100,000 donation."

I think right now we should concentrate on getting everyone who is not on Facebook, signed up for Facebook and also signed up the to the WPI voting reminder link.

Then we can hopefully start off with a bang on day one and keep the momentum going.

I'm going to change my signature to reflect this.

That's a good idea. I think a lot of ME people may not be on Facebook - I find communication with people that I can't control at my own pace to be a burden because I get tired so easily and Facebook is my idea of a complete nightmare. I created an account especially for fundraising contests like this but I don't use it socially at all.

It would be good to get more people on Facebook. However, I would have thought with Chase Community Giving, most people who might sign up already have.

To win this contest, we need X (750-1000?) amount of daily/near-daily voters I would think. The WPI got over 9000 votes in Chase Community Giving.

No, somewhere on the original thread that SpecialK started, there is a list of winners from last year. Utah Prader Willi won $250k, then the top from each region (including Mountain) won $100k. That's 6, not 5.

I know, I was surprised too. If you read the quote I posted from the contest rules, it says, first an overall winner (top vote getter) will be determined. Then the remaining top vote getters from each region get $100k. There are 5 regions.

So one overall winner $250k, then one from each region $100k.

No, somewhere on the original thread that SpecialK started, there is a list of winners from last year. Utah Prader Willi won $250k, then the top from each region (including Mountain) won $100k. That's 6, not 5.

I know, I was surprised too. If you read the quote I posted from the contest rules, it says, first an overall winner (top vote getter) will be determined. Then the remaining top vote getters from each region get $100k. There are 5 regions.

So one overall winner $250k, then one from each region $100k.

Weird! Thanks for clarifying, though!

For anyone interested to know how ME/CFS groups are doing compared to 20th position in their regions in the Vivint contest:

(from around 50 minutes ago)

20th position in each of these regions now, 22.5 hours ago and 47.5 hours ago (i.e. approx. 1 day and 2 days ago):

Pacific: 137-153-188
Whittemore Peterson Institute 2641-2966-3267

Mountain: 223-225-268
The Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association 223 (20th)-225-231
Central: 227-253-309 (went up partly because of IACFS/ME - otherwise would be 279 - another jump of 26)
IACFS/ME International Association for Chronic Fatigue 113-213-309
Eastern: 518-628-820
The CFIDS Association of America 413-444-479
Canada: 3-5-6
National ME/FM Action Network: 172-178-188
Nightingale Research Foundation: N/A-N/A-2

4 ME-type charities qualified for Round 2:

- IACFS/ME International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & ME
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/1124

- National ME/FM Action Network
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/855

- Nightingale Research Foundation
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/1129

- Whittemore Peterson Institute
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/769

Voting for Round 2 started today. I think only really the Whittemore Peterson Institute and maybe the National ME/FM Action Network have a chance of winning their region (i.e. voting for a group that doesn't have a chance of winning its region is a waste, in my opinion).

http://blog.vivint.com/2011/08/wildcard

Vivint Gives Back Wild Card draw - win $25,000 for your charity

by Ian Bell

3 August 2011

$25,000 for your charity.

If youve been voting for the Vivint Gives Back Project and your favorite charity isnt anywhere close to the top ten, you may think that theres no point in voting anymore. But there IS a point . . .

A Chance for $25,000 from Vivint Gives Back

Yes its true that the charity with the most votes overall will win $250,000 and the charities with the most votes from each region will win $100,000. But everyone else still has a chance for some money too.
After the grand prize and regional prize winners have been chosen, all remaining charities who receive at least 5,000 votes will be placed in a drawing and the two charities whose names are drawn will be awarded $25,000 each. Want your charity to be included in our drawing? Then just keep voting. You can vote for one charity per day until August 27, so dont stop now!

To vote now or learn more about our project, go to vivint.com/givesbackproject or call 801.705.6264
The IACFS/ME have a chance to get into this contest. Some of us have started voting for them in the last few days - they've been getting around 60 or so votes per day (before that they were only getting 5-10). They need around 250 per day now I think. Perfectly feasible.

Cort, it'd be good if you could highlight it.

(I was voting for the WPI but tend to believe they are safe but am watching the daily tallies. But as there are no avatars (I know of) for the IACFS/ME, I thought I might as well keep the other one: some people continuing to vote for the WPI makes me feel more secure in swapping)

I was voting for the National ME/FM Action Network but don't think they have a chance: they'd need to get around 1500 votes per day and I think they have only once got over 200 votes (220 I think it was) in one day. The National ME/FM Action Network already have enough votes for the draw.

The very maximum number of charities in the draw is 94 (100 - 1 (overall winner) -5 (regional winners)) so every charity who gets in has a reasonable chance.

The IACFS/ME have a chance to get into this contest. Some of us have started voting for them in the last few days - they've been getting around 60 or so votes per day (before that they were only getting 5-10). They need around 250 per day now I think. Perfectly feasible.

Cort, it'd be good if you could highlight it.

(I was voting for the WPI but tend to believe they are safe but am watching the daily tallies. But as there are no avatars (I know of) for the IACFS/ME, I thought I might as well keep the other one: some people continuing to vote for the WPI makes me feel more secure in swapping)

I was voting for the National ME/FM Action Network but don't think they have a chance: they'd need to get around 1500 votes per day and I think they have only once got over 200 votes (220 I think it was) in one day. The National ME/FM Action Network already have enough votes for the draw.

The very maximum number of charities in the draw is 94 (100 - 1 (overall winner) -5 (regional winners)) so every charity who gets in has a reasonable chance.
FYI: Just when I send this out, another group in pacific, "It gets better project", puts in a huge jump in one day out of nowhere the biggest jump by any group there so far. It's a bit early to tell whether they can keep it up (occasionally groups have jumped but they have then collapsed in a day or two) and the WPI have such a huge lead on them that their jump still isn't sufficient to meet the daily requirement.

But I'm tending towards going back to voting for the WPI http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/769 .

The other alternative to me is the IACFS/ME as there is now a gap of 20915 (=29447 - 8532) between National ME/FM Action Network and the leaders in their region. Assuming that gap doesn't change by the end of today, in the last 17 days of the competition, they would need to get 1230 more than the other group who nearly every day get 400+ and have got around 700 before (and their vote might increase if under pressure). So the National ME/FM Action Network needs 1600-2000 or so votes each day when only once have they got over 200 I think (around 220).