Our Newly Ill Face Their First Holiday Season with ME/CFS
Don't look now! The holiday season is on its way. I've lived through decades of them with ME/CFS. So have many of you in our chronically ill community. That's beyond sad for all of us. But at least we have some idea what we're contending with, and have learned our ways of handling...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

[ARTICLE] NAD+ biosynthesis, aging, and disease

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by nanonug, May 11, 2018.

1. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    https://f1000research.com/articles/7-132/

Abstract
    Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) biosynthesis and its regulation have recently been attracting markedly increasing interest. Aging is marked by a systemic decrease in NAD+ across multiple tissues. The dysfunction of NAD+ biosynthesis plays a critical role in the pathophysiologies of multiple diseases, including age-associated metabolic disorders, neurodegenerative diseases, and mental disorders. As downstream effectors, NAD+-dependent enzymes, such as sirtuins, are involved in the progression of such disorders. These recent studies implicate NAD+ biosynthesis as a potential target for preventing and treating age-associated diseases. Indeed, new studies have demonstrated the therapeutic potential of supplementing NAD+ intermediates, such as nicotinamide mononucleotide and nicotinamide riboside, providing a proof of concept for the development of an effective anti-aging intervention.

[​IMG]

junkcrap50, sb4 and ukxmrv like this.
  2. jpa123

jpa123

I took Life Extension NAD + and it worked for a month 3 years ago and then stopped. I felt very good on it while it worked. It hasn't worked since.

percyval577 and sb4 like this.
  3. raghav

raghav Senior Member

India
    I took Life Extension NAD+, and the first day it was fantastic from the second day onwards it made me jittery and had to stop after 5 days. Any reason why it could be due to ? Does this deplete some other chemical in the body ?

Jackb23 likes this.
  4. Eastman

Eastman Senior Member

In addition to its anti-aging role highlighted in nanonug's post, NAD+ is used in the production of ATP, and its effects here are likely to be much more immediate than its anti-aging effects, so I think they were probably what you saw. So nutrients that work with NAD+ in energy production, e.g. B1 and B2, are possible candidates for getting depleted.

5. raghav

raghav Senior Member

India
    thanks @Eastman I was and am still taking Now foods B-50.

See more popular forum discussions.