• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: "I'd love to be able to say 'I have M E' and have people nod in sympathy"

me/cfs 27931

Anne Brennan said:
'Chronic fatigue syndrome', ME's more fashionable label, says to people, "I am very tired". In a culture where success and fulfilment are synonymous with hard work, what they hear is, "I am lazy".
The sooner the ridiculously inaccurate name "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" is retired, the better. I'm quite fed up with it too.

me/cfs 27931

One section did bother me in an otherwise very good article. I still see the narrative we should be doing graded exercise. And bedbound patients should be out of bed? Should patients like Whitney Dafoe not be staying in bed?

Cycling and swimming are certainly not appropriate or safe activities during my current relapse, and I suspect many others have similar concerns.
Irish Independent said:
Depending on the severity of the condition, the patient can adopt a gentle exercise plan, gradually building up their physical activity.

This could start with walking just a few paces, but can be gradually built up.

Dr Vallings advises patients to avoid exercise which causes sweating, panting, heart racing or muscle pain.

"Swimming, walking, yoga, tai chi and cycling are all suitable activities which can be monitored and increased very slowly," she says.

For some patients, the symptoms of ME may be temporary, while, for others, they are long term.

"Managing symptoms is about getting the right balance between activity and rest," says Dr Shepherd. "You want to ensure patients don't try to force their way out of it by going down to the gym, and at the same time, you don't want people going to bed and staying there."

(emphasis mine)

Last edited: