• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Vs. Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Wayne

I thought this was a particularly good article, especially considering it was published in Psychology Today.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Versus Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

This last paragraph struck me as particularly poignant:
"Whether one is considering CFS, ME, or CFS/ME, the challenges seem daunting, whether it be in the diagnosis or the treatment of these conditions. These challenges seem beyond daunting when one stops to consider that we are still waiting, in 2015, for the right name for the CFS/ME phenomenon."

First Part of the Article Below:
Individuals diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) are considered challenging patients in many quarters, presenting with complaints of post-exertional malaise, constant flu-like symptoms, unrefreshing sleep, cognitive difficulties, and sometimes many other symptoms that don't seem to have any obvious pattern. Some patients appear ill; some patients do not appear ill. Diagnostic tests are usually unrevealing.

As would be expected, these seemingly non-specific complaints often result in a lack of a diagnosis, and, not infrequently an accusation of fakery. However, those in the trenches, both those treating CFS and those diagnosed with CFS, it is a very real thing. Many dislike the label “CFS,” and in other countries it is referred to as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). Actually, the 2003 Canadian Clinical Case Definition draws a distinction between CFS and ME: while both definitions require multiple symptoms in the setting of 6 months of unexplained fatigue to make the diagnosis, the ME criteria also consider the existence of post-exertional malaise.

Of interest, in the next couple of weeks the Institute of Medicine, working with the United States Department of Health and Human Services, will issue recommendations for new clinical diagnostic criteria and consider a new name(s) for what we now refer to as CFS or CFS/ME....

Last edited: