• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article about Jen Brea (of Canary in a Coal Mine) in Princeton Newspaper

Gingergrrl

http://paw.princeton.edu/issues/2015/02/04/pages/3884/index.xml

I hope this is not already posted and I didn't see it anywhere. Jennifer Brea was written about in the alumni newspaper for her alma mater, Princeton. I copied the link and am including an excerpt below. Congratulations to Jennifer! :thumbsup: :star:

One warm day last March, Jennifer Brea ’05 rose from her bed, walked out onto her deck, and lay down. It was a modest outing for someone who had been confined indoors for five months. Brea suffers from myalgic encephalomyelitis, a form of chronic fatigue that is inexplicably crippling and easily exacerbated. To capture what life is like for those with the disease, she is directing Canary in a Coal Mine, a feature-length documentary that is scheduled to be released in 2017.

The film follows Brea and four others, including a 19-year-old named Jessica who is depicted struggling to stand for the first time in nine years. Brea and her collaborator, Kiran Chitanvis ’07, raised more than $200,000 on the crowdsourcing platform Kickstarter and won a grant from the Sundance Institute. Because of her illness, Brea can shoot the film only two days a month. While the crew is on location, Brea directs from home using an iPad. One patient following the film’s development called it “an uprising from their beds.”