• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Art(hur) Hartz (CFSAC member) is a "Chronic Fatigue" researcher

Dolphin

I found it a bit odd that Art Hartz was praising the approach the CDC was using to use a broad definition (the empiric criteria/Reeves criteria).

So I looked him up on PubMed for "fatigue" to see what would show up. None of the five papers were on CFS. 4 were on "chronic fatigue" and one wasn't relevant (see below).

As has been known from what has happened in the UK and elsewhere, when CFS and CF are mixed together (or CF is looked at), one usually ends up with a lot of psych patients. Then one might have people whose lifestyle might not be the healthiest for one reason or another (who might respond to GET, etc).

1. Prospective observational study of treatments for unexplained chronic fatigue.
Bentler SE, Hartz AJ, Kuhn EM.
J Clin Psychiatry. 2005 May;66(5):625-32.
PMID: 15889950 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Related citations

2. Randomized controlled trial of Siberian ginseng for chronic fatigue.
Hartz AJ, Bentler S, Noyes R, Hoehns J, Logemann C, Sinift S, Butani Y, Wang W, Brake K, Ernst M, Kautzman H.
Psychol Med. 2004 Jan;34(1):51-61.
PMID: 14971626 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

3.The effectiveness of citalopram for idiopathic chronic fatigue.
Hartz AJ, Bentler SE, Brake KA, Kelly MW.
J Clin Psychiatry. 2003 Aug;64(8):927-35.
PMID: 12927008 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4. Prognostic factors for persons with idiopathic chronic fatigue.
Hartz AJ, Kuhn EM, Bentler SE, Levine PH, London R.
Arch Fam Med. 1999 Nov-Dec;8(6):495-501.
PMID: 10575388 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Free Article

5. Outcome and cost analysis of scheduled versus emergency scleral buckling surgery.
Hartz AJ, Burton TC, Gottlieb MS, McCarty DJ, Williams DF, Prescott A, Klein P.
Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 1991;89:271-80; discussion 280-3.
PMID: 1808810 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

*GG*

I thought CFSAC was like an advocate for us? If so, how do we get this guy removed?! We don't need people that are supposed to be on "our" side muddying the waters!