• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are you taking amino acids?

SaraM

Based on the results of a recent blood amino acids panel test, I am deficient in threonine (immune booster and anti depressant) , and phosphoserine. Other amino acids are in range, but not optimal. Normal range for many amino acids is 0- 10,20, or 40. In those cases my level is ZERO. I am planning to add threonine and some whey protein isolate to my daily amino acids complex.

hixxy

Some people have trouble tolerating whey protein because of the high levels of glutamate, glutamine and cysteine in it. Be sure to be observant on whether the whey protein is making any neurological problems you have worse (I'm presuming you have some?). Vegetarian based proteins tend to be lower in these amino acids.

hixxy

I don't believe any of those are essential amino acids. They're likely deficient because of other deficiencies -- such as b vitamins and minerals that are necessary cofactors for their synthesis.

I'm fairly certain serine is needed for glutathioine synthesis. I'm sure Rich would be able to confirm that one. I don't know a whole lot about the other two.

hixxy

L'engle

moogle
A friend with ME takes quite a bit of whey protein for muscle recovery, but a side effect is puffy red toes. So whey can do some complicated things.

SaraM

Hi Hixxy,

You are right b vitamins and minerals are necessary, but I have been taking lots of them since I was diagnosed and never saw much improvement. Right now my gut and liver is in terrible shape, so I am going to try these amino acids anyway.

Best

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I didn't know that, Heaps! Thanks!

NAC is used in hospital to protect the liver from paracetamol/tylenol overdoses, its used IV but have read that taken orally has the same effects. I have been using this since i have been on antivirals to help protect my liver.

Sara is there a reason why your liver is enlarged??

cheers!!!

penny

Based on the results of a recent blood amino acids panel test, I am deficient in threonine (immune booster and anti depressant) , and phosphoserine. Other amino acids are in range, but not optimal. Normal range for many amino acids is 0- 10,20, or 40. In those cases my level is ZERO. I am planning to add threonine and some whey protein isolate to my daily amino acids complex.

I tested low on glycine, glutamine, lysine and serine. I supplement all of these except glycine (I tried but it just didn't seem to do much for me). I *think* the lysine helps with suppressing viruses (and so general symptom exacerbation) and that the serine and glutamine help with cognitive functioning. This is just my sense, so they may do something else too or do something completely different.

Oh, and in case you decide to try serine in supplement form - I get the jarrow brand and I prefer the softgel over the capsule versions.

SaraM

Heaps, I do not know. It was detected by accident after a abdominal scan. I am now waiting for the MRI results.

Penny, glutamine helps me with cognitive functioning, too. Jo mar lab has a better price for serine. I ordered some today.

penny

Heaps, I do not know. It was detected by accident after a abdominal scan. I am now waiting for the MRI results.

Penny, glutamine helps me with cognitive functioning, too. Jo mar lab has a better price for serine. I ordered some today.

Cool! Have you used that brand before? I'm hesitant to change what's working :). I'd like to try reducing the serine, it is pricey at 600mg a day! But that'll have to wait till life/other supplements are more stable so I can better tell if it makes a diff.

I am also very deficient in serine, asparagine, and citrulline (citrulline deficiency is a biomarker of crohn's disease).

I tested somewhat low in my urine citrulline (4 micromols) but the range given by the lab is 0-28. My precursors for it (arginine and ornithine) were pretty normal.

Any idea what level is defined as low citrulline in urine?

SaraM

I tested somewhat low in my urine citrulline (4 micromols) but the range given by the lab is 0-28. My precursors for it (arginine and ornithine) were pretty normal.

Any idea what level is defined as low citrulline in urine?

I have no idea. Mine was a blood test. My arigning and ornithine are normal,too. Citrulline under 20 is sometimes considered a biomarker for crohn's disease. Mine is 21. Threonine is 53, normal 73-261. Theronine is used to generate intestinal mucus. A low level causes leaky gut and fatty liver(enlarged liver).