• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are essential fatty acids 'toxic'?

dannybex

If the body gets the balance wrong then we can wind up with inflammation. This is largely due to other factors, though restricting arachidonic acid will reduce pain and inflammation. However it also reduces important hormones, just like Vioxx did. We may need to accept that low levels of inflammation are the price of avoiding deficiency states.

I was on evening primrose oil for years. For the first two or so years, it helped. Then it became a problem.

Understood. It's all a balance, and that balance is so tricky and complicated, and of course there are other factors involved in inflammation. I'll try smaller amounts, and maybe for now just rub it on my DRY skin… :)

dannybex

Yes it would. Its also the best way to take flax seed oil as its less likely to be rancid.

Thanks Alex. That's t's precisely why I was grinding the seeds. My hair started falling out big time in 2009 -- and I found a site where other people were having the same problem. Reviewing hundreds of reports it turned out that those who were using flax oil (or fish oil) were losing hair by the bundle, but not if the seed was freshly ground.

dannybex

@dannybex how about your iron levels?

I'm not sure what they are lately, but my last ferritin 6-8 months ago was right smack in the middle. I don't eat much red meat -- maybe twice a week -- so I've been taking an iron supp during my dinner meal, and that seems to help with tremors/cramps in my calves and feet. A little bit anyway...

Gondwanaland

Thanks Alex. That's t's precisely why I was grinding the seeds. My hair started falling out big time in 2009 -- and I found a site where other people were having the same problem. Reviewing hundreds of reports it turned out that those who were using flax oil (or fish oil) were losing hair by the bundle, but not if the seed was freshly ground.
Whenever I tried to consume flax seeds I have always used freshly ground organic and it just makes me feel like if I am eating gluten - aches everywhere - no matter if 1 tsp or 1 Tbsp. I think that list of gluten cross-reactive foods is to be taken seriously.

dannybex

Whenever I tried to consume flax seeds I have always used freshly ground organic and it just makes me feel like if I am eating gluten - aches everywhere - no matter if 1 tsp or 1 Tbsp. I think that list of gluten cross-reactive foods is to be taken seriously.

Could also be a salicylate thing as well. Or maybe oxalates… ?

Gondwanaland

Could also be a salicylate thing as well. Or maybe oxalates… ?
Nope, not the same reaction.

Gluten & cross-reactives = muscle, joint, bone, vascular pain

Sals = essentially breathlessnes, painful breathing

And thankfully I don't have an oxalate problem. :eek:

dannybex

Okay -- just had read about a woman who had severe salicylate issues which impacted her spinal stenosis, and once she eliminated them or cut them way down, she could move, walk, etc..