• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are endogenous depression and cfs close relatives?

amaru7

9 Things Only People With Depression Can Truly Understand
Posted: 08/26/2014 8:22 am EDT Updated: 08/26/2014 1:59 pm EDT
n-MINDFULNESS-large570.jpg

There's been a lot of dialogue surrounding depression -- particularly in light of recent events -- as people struggle to understand why and how it affects people in the ways that it does. And for the 350 million people worldwide with the condition, it can be just as hard to articulate its effects as it is to understand it.

Depression can make people feel like their minds have completely rebelled against them. From a lack of will to physical pain, it can cause people to function poorly at work, in school and in social activities, according to the World Health Organization. Many people who experience depression can also experience symptoms of anxiety.

But those factors are just the start. Below, find nine things people with depression know to be true (and what others can do to help alleviate them).

The frustration that comes when someone suggests you can "snap out of it."

[...]

read on source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/26/depression-frustrations_n_5692649.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand by my comment that was removed. If there's anything unjust it's to appease the biopsychosocial school and that such damaging and abusive myths are being allowed to free reign to be perpetuated on an "ME/CFS" forum, after all the damage that such thinking has done to them, and done to the field, and explains why we are in this parlous position. I did not attack any individual, I did attack the philosophy behind this thread. And there's a very good reason why some sufferers write "one liners" instead of long arguments, debates and psuedo-professional articles - it's just such a pity that the people who can perform the latter seem often to be the least well acquinted with M.E, it's history, needs and risks etc . This has reminded me why this forum has a reputation for censuring reasonable pro-ME free speech and enjoys turning a blind eye to "controversial" (i.e. anti-ME) rhetoric, so I will no longer be a member of it from this point (I trust whomever took offense is pleased with themselves and the thread has fulfilled its purpose).

Valentijn

This has reminded me why this forum has a reputation for censuring reasonable pro-ME free speech and enjoys turning a blind eye to "controversial" (i.e. anti-ME) rhetoric . . . .
If anti-ME rhetoric couldn't be discussed here, how would we be able to oppose it? Pretending that it doesn't exist is not a feasible option, after all. We have to know what the rhetoric says, what's wrong about it, and the most successful ways to attack it in a variety of situations.

And the moderators seem to be quite liberal in allowing us to attack it, so long as certain lines aren't being crossed. If the attack is on the ideas, and not on other forum members, there shouldn't be any problem.

If anti-ME rhetoric couldn't be discussed here, how would we be able to oppose it? Pretending that it doesn't exist is not a feasible option, after all. We have to know what the rhetoric says, what's wrong about it, and the most successful ways to attack it in a variety of situations.

And the moderators seem to be quite liberal in allowing us to attack it, so long as certain lines aren't being crossed. If the attack is on the ideas, and not on other forum members, there shouldn't be any problem.

I was referring to sentiments expressed by forum members, not quoted material like SW.

Examples would be questioning whether ME exists, whether muscle weakness in ME exsts, attacking sufferers as being their own worst enemy because they "disengage" with (dismissive) doctors, etc etc. Woe betide anyone who suggests such sentiments don't have the best interests of pwME.

Valentijn

I was referring to sentiments expressed by forum members, not quoted material like SW.

Examples would be questioning whether ME exists, whether muscle weakness in ME exsts, attacking sufferers as being their own worst enemy because they "disengage" with (dismissive) doctors, etc etc.
Yes, well, they can express their opinions. And it is quite easy to politely point out why their opinions are completely wrong. It can become a bit annoying and repetitive at times, but hopefully themselves or other visitors to the forum learn something useful in the process.

Undisclosed

I stand by my comment that was removed. If there's anything unjust it's to appease the biopsychosocial school and that such damaging and abusive myths are being allowed to free reign to be perpetuated on an "ME/CFS" forum, after all the damage that such thinking has done to them, and done to the field, and explains why we are in this parlous position. I did not attack any individual, I did attack the philosophy behind this thread. And there's a very good reason why some sufferers write "one liners" instead of long arguments, debates and psuedo-professional articles - it's just such a pity that the people who can perform the latter seem often to be the least well acquinted with M.E, it's history, needs and risks etc . This has reminded me why this forum has a reputation for censuring reasonable pro-ME free speech and enjoys turning a blind eye to "controversial" (i.e. anti-ME) rhetoric, so I will no longer be a member of it from this point (I trust whomever took offense is pleased with themselves and the thread has fulfilled its purpose).

This forum actually doesn't have a reputation for censoring anything except with a small group of disgruntled previously banned members who got themselves banned ages ago who seem to enjoy spreading lies about Phoenix Rising. It seems there are those out there that believe the propaganda being spread. It's ironic that quite a few of these people who so love to insult Phoenix Rising spend an inordinate amount of time creating false identities, using proxies, and disposable emails to rejoin the forum they hate so much.

If a member breaks the rules, they can't expect that we will turn a blind eye on the basis of the content (eg., allowing personal attacks on those who discuss any kind of similarity between depression and CFS because most of us hate the BPS model, nope that's unfair -- best to not allow any personal attacks). I vehemently dislike anything to do with ME/CFS and the BPS model and I can assure you that your comment wasn't removed to 'appease' the BPS. It was removed because it was a rule breach -- end of. It would have been removed from any thread on the forums. Since you decided to address this publicly @lastgasp, then I think it's fair for me to respond publicly.

We do not censor anything. We have rules and when you break them we repond by removing the rule breach. This is not censorship -- members are not free to insult, harass, personally attack others just beause they don't agree with them. What they are free to do, is say why they disagree with them. Are we to the point that we can't even discuss depression and ME/CFS on this forum - that is censorship.

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication or other information which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions.

Not having the discussion makes it impossible to demonstrate why depression and ME are two distinct entities and how damaging the BPS model is.

Exactly. It's one thing to criticize content, it's another to make a pejorative comment about the thread and intimate something about the thread starter.

Examples would be questioning whether ME exists, whether muscle weakness in ME exsts, attacking sufferers as being their own worst enemy because they "disengage" with (dismissive) doctors, etc etc. Woe betide anyone who suggests such sentiments don't have the best interests of pwME.

Questioning these things leads to answers. It also assists members who don't know a lot about ME. It opens up discussions where we can relate why these opinions are wrong and damaging. Not having these discussions allows for the promulgation of false information.

Yes, well, they can express their opinions. And it is quite easy to politely point out why their opinions are completely wrong. It can become a bit annoying and repetitive at times, but hopefully themselves or other visitors to the forum learn something useful in the process.

Exactly. And we shouldn't forget all the research based information/articles on PR that are totally against any kind of BPS crap (the total and complete evisceration of the PACE trial for example) and the hundreds of threads that delve into current and past research of the physiological causes of ME etc, etc. I don't see any member saying that ME/CFS is a psychological disorder on this forum. If they do, they get educated about why it isn't -- rapidly and it's not pretty. There is a lot of disinformation regarding ME/CFS out there and unless we discuss all these things, the disinformation continues. The more it is addressed, the more the information is disseminated.

amaru7

Hi, first here's my point

Questions to ask for CFS/MDD:
  • Is CFS/ME often misdiagnosed as depression?
  • perhaps because of parellels in clinical appearance? e.g. bedridden, decreased activity
  • Is there an exceptionally high level of suffering amongst severe cases ?
  • Does suicidality sadly often occur as a result ?
  • Are there limitations in social interaction, school, careers and personal life?
  • Is the general activity level lower?
  • Does it cause a high toll on family and carers?
  • Is there a relevant subgroup that has both diseases?
  • Could this group benefit from looking closer into MDD research too? Obviously.
  • Could the depressed possibly benefit from CFS research on the other hand?
  • Is it a complex, multidimensional, heterogenic and. still after all the research, so poorly understood disease?
  • Do the patients often get stigmatized, met with misunderstanding and prejudices?
  • Are neurotransmitter levels relevant also mitochondria?
  • Does genetic variation play a role?
  • Methylaton and oxidative stress ?
  • Do viral/bacterial/parasitic infections influence the disease?
  • Is the endocrine system out of whack? (thyroid, adrenals, sex hormones, insulin)
  • Is the cardiovascular system affected?
  • Is the brain and/or cns affected in various ways?
  • Physical pain/Fm occur?
  • Is the sleep affected?
  • OMM, stimulants or hormones treatments being used with questionable success ?
  • Do patients often put years and years of their life into looking to finally get cured?
  • And often get disappointed in professionals not able to help?
  • Weight changes, appetite changes, digestive problems?
  • Does physical activity, psychotherapy and do antidepressants any good?
  • Is it a disease with mental/psychological struggle including lowered mood, anxiousness, emptiness, hopelessnes, helplessnes, worthlessnes, guiltiness, irritablility?
  • Does OI? tachycardia? PEM? Occur?
  • Is it a psychiatric disease?
  • Is it the same disease?
  • Do professionals break the hiipocratic oath if they misdiagnose and mistreat? No question.
This is general and wide-angled, because I'm not interested in starting an argument to prove/disprove anything scientifically, as the research is all over the place. I'm just trying to clarify on my personal view and a few Qs to ask as there are clear differences aswell as legitimate comon features of CFS and MDD IMO.

My view on CFS/ME criteria (CDC, Fukuda, etc.) is different in that they're all only more or less accurate.
Because of the disease being so heterogenic and there is no final consensus on which criteria, diagnosis, treatment or even name to use. Trying to make one diagnosis/criteria out of it is not correct, there should be at least two subgroups, I think- Depression has 5, but this has evolved with the time and I expect this to happen for CFS too in future.

To quote kdm, he was asked in an interview how many different subgroups for CFS there were, he replied bluntly
"as many as there are patients"
/watch?v=JWHWf1yJRac

Last edited:

Valentijn

My view on CFS/ME criteria (CDC, Fukuda, etc.) is different in that they're all only more or less accurate.
Because of the disease being so heterogenic and there is no final consensus on which criteria, diagnosis, treatment or even name to use.
The lack of complete consensus is of limited relevance. Patients and real experts agree that PEM is a core feature of ME, and nearly all are happy with any criteria which reflects this. PEM is not a symptom of depression or any other disease, for that matter. To ignore or downplay that rather central point is mind-boggling.

I'm not sure what the point is in comparing the disabling effects of diseases. Yes, depression and ME are both disabling, but so are thousands of other disease. That does not suggest that ME and MDD are "close relatives", anymore than it suggests that all disease are closely related.

I'm afraid that most of your supposed similarities are completely irrelevant to determining similarity between diseases, and the rest are quite dissimilar between ME and MDD.

amaru7

I'm afraid that most of your supposed similarities are completely irrelevant to determining similarity between diseases, and the rest are quite dissimilar between ME and MDD.
Very vague and easy just to dismiss the whole thing without specifically answering any of it.

Most of your posts until now are counter productive and repetitive if you noticed. You including a couple of members desperately trying to shut down a discussion throughout in any way possible with personal attacks, off topic and finally resorting to embarrassing labelling like this new ridiculous term "Anti -ME talk" I never ever heard before; it's pathetic.

Thanks to the mods who kept it clean.

One reason why I initiated this thread was because I saw a correlation between sufferers of ME and depression. Now what I'm looking for is a causal link between the two diseases and any impact they may have on one another. If you'll argue that this is irrelevant to science, not only will I stop arguing with you, but this whole page may as well be shut down.

Valentijn

Very vague and easy just to dismiss the whole thing without specifically answering any of it.
If you want something more specific, I suggest you post a shorter list which excludes commonalities shared by all diseases which can be highly debilitating. I'm not going to go point-by-point to explain why half or more of your list is irrelevant to establishing a similarity between two illnesses, when each of those similarities are also shared by dozens, if not hundreds, of other illnesses.

I'm afraid that the broad applicability of your list to a great many diseases is making your current endeavor look rather superficial and deceitful.

user9876

The lack of complete consensus is of limited relevance. Patients and real experts agree that PEM is a core feature of ME, and nearly all are happy with any criteria which reflects this. PEM is not a symptom of depression or any other disease, for that matter. To ignore or downplay that rather central point is mind-boggling.

There may be people who are diagnosed with MDD who have PEM because some people with ME get diagnosed with depression and this could lead to confusion in some peoples minds. Of course any studies should be careful with diagnosis but often doctors with little experience in the area are not.

Undisclosed

A long winded post just because I think it's necessary to point out some things.

Hi, first here's my point

.Questions to ask for CFS/MDD:
  • Is CFS/ME often misdiagnosed as depression?
It is because doctors are either using crap diagnostic criteria, do not do a proper clinical assessment to rule out depression, and are generally un-educated related to ME, or just plain biased.
  • perhaps because of parellels in clinical appearance? e.g. bedridden, decreased activity
How many illnesses result in people being bedridden or result in decreased activity. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
  • Is there an exceptionally high level of suffering amongst severe cases ?
You can ask that of all severe diseases and conditions. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
Again, those who suffer from any kind of chronic illness that entails ongoing pain and misery often consider suicide or the way to end the suffering.
  • Are there limitations in social interaction, school, careers and personal life?
This is often the case with many chronic illnesses. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
This is the case with many chronic illnesses. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
This is the case with many chronic illnesses. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
Not sure of the meaning here. Is there a subgroup of people with ME that suffer depression and subgroup of people with depression that suffere from ME. Of course but that means nothing. The likelihood of suffering depression with any chronic illness is a reality. There are people out there with Cancer that suffer from depression, it doesn't mean the two are clinically related. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
  • Could this group benefit from looking closer into MDD research too? Obviously.
Why? Major depressive disorder is a distinct clinical entity from ME/CFS. Would you research leukemia patients to get answers about ME/CFS just because they share a few of the same symptoms. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
  • Could the depressed possibly benefit from CFS research on the other hand?
Would you ask this related to all the chronic illnesses that have overlapping symptoms. Would people with diabetes, Cancer, Rheumatoid arthritis etc benefit from CFS research? Who knows -- but they all enjoy being treated as distinct clinical entities.
  • Is it a complex, multidimensional, heterogenic and. still after all the research, so poorly understood disease?
Just because depression and ME/CFS are poorly understood, doesn't mean they are related in some manner.
  • Do the patients often get stigmatized, met with misunderstanding and prejudices?
Yes they do, but so do people with Autism, Schizophrenia, HIV/AIDS. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
Neurotransmitter levels are relevant in many disorders -- schizophrenia, Huntington's, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Autism, Seizure disorders, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), to name a few. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.

As far as mitochondria go, I am aware of the research that suggests stress-related depression might be correlated with an increase in the amount of mitochondrial DNA and changes in telomere length. Therefore, a measurable sign perhaps of depression. Not a cause though, result. Mitochondria is involved in energy production, so it would make sense that the fatigue in any illness is related to the physiological stress on the dna from having a disease. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
Genetic varation plays a role in all disease/conditions. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
What about them -- both could be tied in to many diseases and conditions. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
Infection has an influence on all disease by making the disease symptoms worse -- both objectively and subjectively. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
  • Is the endocrine system out of whack? (thyroid, adrenals, sex hormones, insulin)
I have worked with many people with severe MDD -- hospitalized. The hospital I worked at did routine assessments for hormonal issues. There were very few patients that had any kind of 'out of whack' hormonal issues. Sometimes, people came back with abnormal thyroid levels but fixing that did not fix their depression, therefore suggesting not a cause but maybe a small contributor or co-existing condition. I know of many people with ME who have fixed their hormonal issues with the end result of having improvement of some symptoms but no improvement of distinct ME associated symptoms like PEM/PENE. Many diseases actually cause abnormalities in some part of the endocrine system. Disease has an effect on the endocrine system.
Many diseases can affect the cardiovascular system.
Many diseases affect the brain which is part of the Central Nervous System.
Many diseases have pain as a symptom.
Sleep is affected in many diseases.
  • Do patients often put years and years of their life into looking to finally get cured?
ME/CFS are forced to do this due lack of research, lack of known cause, lack of proper medical care etc. and being told they are suffering from depression.

I actually believe MDD patients do not do this when then are depressed -- why -- because MDD is a thought disorder characterized by a distorted view of life in which a negative attitude makes it difficult for them to imagine how problems or situations may be resolved in a positive way. Most MDD patients I knew, just didn't care while those with ME/CFS care a great deal. I am not saying MDD is a psychological disorder -- I am saying the underlying basis is physiological with the accompanying thought disorder being a symptom of the physiological abnormalities which unfortunately makes it difficult for these patients to proactively search for answers as many ME patients seem to do.

So again, ME/CFS patients are very pro-active and interested in getting better and this is a glaring and distinct difference from people who suffer from MDD.
How do you think a Cancer patient feels whe a professional is not able to help because a the cancer is too far gone? How do you think an insulin dependent diabetic feels when a doctor can't offer anything other than insulin? How do you think an Alzheimer's patient feels?
This occurs with many diseases/conditions. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
  • Does physical activity, psychotherapy and do antidepressants any good?
Physical activity supposedly helps people with depression, it harms those with ME related to PEM if a fine line is crossed. Psychotherapy only helps people if they want it to help and it helps them cope with being ill. Antidepressants probably only help a small group of MDD patients -- who knows -- there is a lot of conflicting research about that. Most with ME can't cope with them as they seem to exacerbate issues.
  • Is it a disease with mental/psychological struggle including lowered mood, anxiousness, emptiness, hopelessnes, helplessnes, worthlessnes, guiltiness, irritablility?
This is depression you are describing, not ME/CFS. Being a human means you are probably going to experience those things even if you are physically healthy at some point in your life. If a person with ME has all those symptoms they are likely suffering from some kind of co-existing anxiety and/or depression. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation.
PEM is what separates ME/CFS from the rest of the diseases. I have never met a patient with MDD that suffered from PEM and if they did have PEM, I would suspect depression as a co-existing diagnosis.
What is a 'psychiatric' disease. That is a useless stigmatizing label. Depression is a physiological disease in its own right where the major symptom is negative thinking. Psychiatric diseases exist so psychiatrists have something to do with all the psychobabble they have manufactured. Both depression and ME/CFS should be treated as serious physiological disorders with research aimed at the physiological causes/treatments of both. They also need to be treated as separate illnesses because that's what they are.
No. Absolutely not. The problem with this question is that if one believes they are the same disease then one has to ignore the distinct clinical features of each and focus on the similarities which are fatigue, pain in some cases, disturbed sleep.

This simply is a faulty argument based on analogy:

MDD has the symptoms of fatigue, pain, sleep disorders, suggested issues with neurotransmitters, oxidation, mitichondria, methylation.
ME/CFS has the symptoms of fatigue, pain, sleep disorders, suggested issues with neurotransmitters, oxidation, mitichondria, methylation.
Conclusion: MDD and ME/CFS must be the same disorders because the symptoms that make them distinct diseases are totally being ignored.

Is this argument acceptable -- no because they are distinct disorders -- MDD does not involve PEM and many other associated autonomic symptoms. If we conclude they are the same, then we must add many other diseases and designate them the same disease. Cancer is the same disease as ME and depression because cancer has fatigue, pain, sleep issues, mitochondrial, hormonal issues in common. Same goes for other diseases.

Do professionals break the hiipocratic oath if they misdiagnose and mistreat? No question.

In some cases they do, some they don't. That applies to all diseases and how well the doctor diagnoses and treats the disease. This is not a basis to suggest any kind of correlation between MDD and ME/CFS.

I'm just trying to clarify on my personal view and a few Qs to ask as there are clear differences aswell as legitimate comon features of CFS and MDD IMO.

To be gentle, I personally believe a lot of your views regarding MDD and ME/CFS are based on a cognitive bias where you are saying that there are 'legitimate common features'. Are they legitimate common features because as I have just pointed out in a very lengthy and no doubt boring and repetitive manner that these similarities are present in many many diseases/conditions -- how are they less legitimate or more legitimate in conditions other than ME/CFS. You have decided there are legitimate correlations -- where does that even come from. I have yet to see any reasoning other than MDD and ME/CFS share a few of the same symptoms -- this in no way suggests 'legitimate correlation'.

Most of your posts until now are counter productive and repetitive if you noticed. You including a couple of members desperately trying to shut down a discussion throughout in any way possible with personal attacks, off topic and finally resorting to embarrassing labelling like this new ridiculous term "Anti -ME talk" I never ever heard before; it's pathetic.

Thanks to the mods who kept it clean.

That's probably because members are trying to constructively tell you, in most cases, why your argument is problematic. I don't think members are doing anything other than trying to educate others, at this point, that the two are not even close to being similar diseases. It's not pathetic to not want to be misdiagnosed or labelled with a disorder you don't have just because of a few similar symptoms. It's not pathetic to want ME/CFS to be seriously treated as a disease in it's own right rather than to be thrown in with another illness.

How many times have you heard on this forum that somebody just got told -- 'You are just depressed'. This is wrong and insulting and really what you have done on this thread is probably virtually slapped all these members that have had to put up with this kind of crap because doctors don't know the criteria for ME, or they don't believe in ME/CFS or they are just too lazy to do any testing.

One reason why I initiated this thread was because I saw a correlation between sufferers of ME and depression. Now what I'm looking for is a causal link between the two diseases and any impact they may have on one another. If you'll argue that this is irrelevant to science, not only will I stop arguing with you, but this whole page may as well be shut down.

And I have pointed out similarities between ME, Depression and many many other illnesses. So why don't you look for a causal link between all these other diseases and depression. Depression is a disease in it's own right -- has it's own diagnostic criteria, it's own set of signs and symptoms -- just like every other disease on this planet. Just because you see a correlation between a few symptoms doesn't mean the two are related in any manner other than they share a few of the same symptoms.

Again --

index.php

Okay, I am finally finished.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hello @amaru7

I went back and read your first post. I agree that ME/cfs can exist as co-morbid conditions. That seems obvious on two counts:
first people who have a chronic debilitating illness can experience depression as a result of their circumstances. I know this has already been pointed out.
Second: since depression is an equal opportunity illness it can strike people who also have ME.

First I'd like to state that from my time here on the PR forums I would say that like myself others here view depression as biological and in need of serious treatment modalities. And also that we do not view any mental illness with stigma. To rephrase that for clarity: their is no shame to having a mental illness.

A lot depends on how one conceptualises; what is depression? Because of it's association with mood as an outward sign/marker rather than a biomarker diagnosis is problematic. Mood is not an on/off switch but a series of dots which follow from one end (mental health) to the other (mental illness) so closely that these dots appear as a line. So where is the cut off? Depressed mood is not the same as what to me is the second point the depression that would be there in an ME patient even if their ME were cured.

Both (endogenous and due to circumstances) can have serious consequenses. Both will feel unbearable and terrible and frightening. But I'm not at all sure that one can claim that they are the exact same thing biologically. I bring all this up because I presume that the illness you are referring to is the second.

As to your point in your first post: even if there are biological similarities it cannot be said to mean that the two are the same illness.
For your consideration see the link to a study that found the exact same biological process happening in both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's patients: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/267885.php
Reading this alone might make one conclude that then they must be the same illness. Here is what the Alzheimer's Association says:
http://www.alznyc.org/nyc/newsletter/fall2012/06.asp#.VZ_ipyisHRY (Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases: Similar but very different)
Although it may be possible that they get treated with similar/the same drugs. Just as methotrexate is used for cancer and for RA.

Or similarities between ALS, MS and MD:https://www.als.ca/sites/default/files/files/ALS-MS-MD.pdf (Often the public confuses ALS, MS and MD)

ME can be seen as similar to several diseases especially as it's effect on the body is multi-systemic. There is also the question of how to characterise the more discreet co-morbid illnesses that are variously diagnosed with different ME sufferers. Is it ME that causes them so that lets say IBS is a secondary (and perhaps slightly different?) illness to primary (no ME) IBS. Who knows. I don't.

Unravelling all of this is not possible given the limited information now available to us. And that falls into the category of medical crime since it need not be so. Hopefully more information will clarify many things. One thing that cannot be argued is the experience (especially over time) of the ME patient.

I know depressed mood. I also know someone close to me with endogenous depression.
And sure enough we share some similar symptoms. One huge difference is that with MDD the person simply cannot function because they cannot motivate themselves to do anything. This is quite different and in huge contrast to the ME patient who's mind is on fire with all the things they want to be doing and cannot (and to my mind also the reason that PWME can get so snippy about being mischaracterised as having someone else's illness). And the disability that comes from exertion has already been remarked on.

And finally I'd like to point out the difficulties that arise in nature when seeing the same thing because of similarities.
Tortoise/Turtle: Kingdom: Anamalia, Phylum: Chordata, Class: Reptilia, Order: Testudines (aka Chelonii),
Family: Tortoise: Testtudinidae Turtle: Various families-- Carettochelyidae, Dermatemydidae, Emydidae.

There is a lot more similarity there than not. But over the years there has been an ongoing small scale tortoise accidental genocide.
Why? Because people who cross paths with the tortoise see turtles and helpfully take them to the water for a swim.

Unfortunately, while tortoises may live near the water they cannot swim and therefore drown as a result of the helpfulness of the good samaritan (ooooh there's more than one lesson to be learned there).

Wether the tortoise wants to swim is a question I cannot answer.

Last edited:

redaxe

I always thought this was an intriguing bit of research but it doesn't look like it was ever followed up on.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-re...hronic-fatigue-syndrome-depression-871800.htm

It basically ties back to the persistent viral theory of CFS/ME whereby viruses lurking in our cells are throwing out proteins and other chemokines that are causing neurological disease.

If there is some scientific basis to this then it could explain the supposed association between CFS/ME and depression or at least clinical symptoms that are mistaken for depression. Anyway it's pretty apparent that there are multiple types of depression like there is over 100 different forms of arthritis....

To the OP I think what people are upset about is the influence that psychiatry has in medical research; over doctors and medical treatments, over the media and ultimately over us. In the UK for instance psychiatry has basically had free reign over CFS/ME. It's not much better in the USA but at least there you have the opportunity to see specialists that focus on CFS/ME as a physical disease. It's not obvious but when you visit enough doctors and listen to their attitudes, perceptions or what they've been told about CFS/ME you are seeing right there the influence of psychiatry. This is why we are still routinely treated as malingerers or people with issues or not taken seriously...

And the most obvious thing to say is that if CFS/ME was that similar to depression it would respond well to CBT/GET and antidepressants. If you read into people like Sophia Mirza (a young woman who got sick and eventually died from CFS/ME) with the autopsy showing dorsal root ganglionitis. It's possible that if psychiatry had not had the influence it does than people like her could have gotten proper care or at least taken seriously by doctors and not rejected as someone who is 'lazy and needs to exercise'

I've had moderate depression 10 years ago - totally different symptoms from CFS/ME. But I've also had depression or mood disorders with CFS/ME. Both times I was given SSRIs but they seemed to either do nothing or make me worse so there's no way I'm touching those things again.
I actually managed to stabilise my mood with B12 injections and currently with a combination of N-Acetyl Cysteine, St Johns Wort, a few cups of coffee each day and melatonin for sleep. I've found all these things very useful for keeping my mood up but none of them have been suggested by a doctor so there you go:rolleyes:

knackers323

I seem to be an atypical CFS patient as I don't have an immune dysfunction (tested at the charité immune clinics in Berlin center of excellence) and no other obvious physical symptoms like throat swelling, cold extremities. Had OI but that seems to have dissolved on its own. My fatigue score is severe though, especially lately I'm not able to get out of bed, brushing my teeth to me is like climbing a mountain.

Also in the typical depression I don't fit in, because I'm very proactive in searching for possible treatments and I think about my health alot. Plus I don't have an obvious change in appetite..

Most of the tests I did came out normal except for the mitochondrial testing and neurotransmitters, which were both on the low end. Also anti phospholipid syndrome, low HDL, some minor infections like bartonella.

Has treating the mitochondria helped at all?