• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Approaching methylation w/ adrenal fatigue...

presently_distant

Everywhere and Nowhere
There may or may not be a thread on this, not quite sure... Apologies if there is as I don't want to be (too) redundant.

A couple days ago I started taking methylfolate and b12 and thought that the fatigue I was experiencing was mainly due to potassium deficiency. Little did I know that I actually had somewhat acute hyponatremia (low sodium). Fatigue like none other, can barely think, blurry vision...you get the picture.

So here is my dilemma, how should I go about starting methylation back up when my adrenals are so haywire? I feel as though this will be very difficult given there will be an even crazier flux between potassium and sodium than I already have.

I do have Pantethine and sodium ascorbate in my arsenal (the latter giving me a big boost when I need it). Should I go about taking glandulars before I even try to attempt methylation or will methylation help adrenal issues?

Sorry again if this is a rehashed thread (new here).

Critterina

Sorry, @presently_distant , but I don't understand: what does your low sodium have to do with adrenal fatigue?

No one on this site can tell you what to do - or at least that's the plan. We share ideas and stories, but you have to decide for yourself, preferably with the help of a medical professional, what you need to be doing.

presently_distant

Everywhere and Nowhere
Let me clarify...I don't mean to come across as helpless. I am just trying to figure out if anyone else with adrenal fatigue has attempted freddd's methylation protocol (very likely) and basically how they did on it? I'm just curious, really.

Adrenal fatigue has to do with sodium due to low aldosterone output, a hormone that regulates sodium (if I'm not mistaken). Also has to do with magnesium deficiency and cell membrane permeability, I think.

The reason I mention it in relation to methylation is due to the fact that starting up methylation (especially under Freddd's protocol) creates a huge demand for potassium. And as someone who frequently has low sodium, I'm just curious as to the experiences others like me have had juggling the strange and often delicate balance between sodium and potassium.

By no means am I asking for medical guidance. I have my hyponatremia controlled under supervision of my doctor. All I really want is a discussion with others who have gone down this route and what their experience has been. Tis all...

South

I don't have any wisdom to write, just wanted to say hang in there - adrenal issues are the pits!

Can I ask - do you have parts of every day that are always better/worse for you energy-wise? Such as, most mornings are worse for energy or most evenings are better, anything like that? This is a selfish question - I'm trying to figure out adrenal issues myself.

I don't have ME, but have had classic adrenal problems, including unreasonably low blood pressure. Getting enough salt helps keep my bp normal. I never found a doctor to give me the salt test you had, just many of them saying "gee you have extremely low blood pressure, we never see it this low".

ahmo

@presently_distant My adrenals were still pretty overwhelmed when I started Freddd's Protocol. I was taking adrenal glandulars, as well as hypothalamus and pituitary. I started the protocol slowly, more cautious than I needed to be. I've made my way through by self-testing for foods and supps. So, for example, if I needed more K+, I'd also ask my body if it wanted more Na.

At the same time as I was beginning FP, I was also entering into a gentle detox regimen. After about a year I had a major clearing of my adrenals. This was not by intention, but came about in the natural progression of toxins being released. And in fact I ran into troubles at one point because I neglected to add enough salt.

You've just had an experience of hyponatremia, so you'll have more awareness if it happens again. Each of us develops our own symptom cluster, if we're vigilant we can use them to guide our way through.

Self-testing http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ex59wHLk3Q0

Good written description of simple self-testing: http://www.goodhealthinfo.net/herbalists/muscle_testing.htm

presently_distant

Everywhere and Nowhere
@South I generally feel better right before I'm about to fall asleep and somewhat worse when I wake up. I'm not quite sure what this indicates as I am still relatively new to all this (only had some form of CFS/ME for 10 months). I know my low sodium levels and adrenal mishaps are directly connected to my feeling of fatigue, though. The hyponatremia is probably the scariest symptom I've gotten from adrenal fatigue yet. Though, it also had a lot to do with the excess of water I was drinking and the excess of potassium I thought I needed... As I had just taken methylfolate when this episode began. I definitely need to be more careful in the future.

@ahmo I have tried some form of self testing in the past, will need to hone that sense, for sure, if I want to move forward with this. I know now to keep a very watchful eye on those sodium levels, though.