• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone use MODIFIED CITRUS PECTIN?

leela

I use Pectasol Chelation Complex (hideously expensive even at iherb--nice if you have a friend with a, ND, DO, or even massage lisence to buy
it closer to wholesale for you.) It apparently pulls out metals well on its own; it contains alginates as well which allegedly allows you to
swallow less pectin than you normally would have to with pectin alone. (This from the guy who makes it, so grain-of-salt possibly needed.)
I use it in conjunction with IV or TD chelation therapy, and it does a noticeably good job of mopping up stray mobilized metals.
There is some research behind PCC--they did clinical trials with children in China and pulled out a bunch of metal with it.
Here is a link to several studies using modified citrus pectin:
http://www.dreliaz.org/research#chelation

Lotus97

I use Pectasol Chelation Complex (hideously expensive even at iherb--nice if you have a friend with a, ND, DO, or even massage lisence to buy
it closer to wholesale for you.) It apparently pulls out metals well on its own; it contains alginates as well which allegedly allows you to
swallow less pectin than you normally would have to with pectin alone. (This from the guy who makes it, so grain-of-salt possibly needed.)

2 1/2 years later it's still "hideously expensive" so I ended up buying Nature's Sunshine Algin (aka Sodium Alginate) instead. Algin/Alginate is kind of hard to find. I've never heard of Nature's Sunshine so I hope it's ok. I'm certainly not endorsing that brand.

Now I'm looking into Modified Citrus Pectin because I plan on doing a small amount of a lot of different things which I'm hoping will minimize the risks, but I realize it could also increase the risks. I don't believe that there is only one way to do things because everyone is different.

Someone in another thread was saying that your body is able to break down regular pectin into the form that MCP is in. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I'd rather my body has as little extra work to do as possible since it already seems to be pretty busy doing stuff. Still, I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's any validity in this claim. I suppose any answer would be theoretical, but I'll throw that out there anyways.

Lotus97

Does it matter whether Modified Citrus Pectin is organic? It's made from orange rinds/peels which is sprayed with pesticides. It's made from the white inner part, but it seems like it could still get contaminated during processing. Nutricology is the only company that makes organic MCP. PectaSol's is not organic. There are also recipes on how to make your own citrus pectin.

I also found this on an MCP supplement's description. It seems a little too good to be true. Are there really binders/chelating agents that only get the bad stuff? And if Citrus pectin has potassium do you absorb any of it or does it bind to itself?
NOW Foods Modified Citrus Pectin (MCP) features a patented, low molecular weight citrus pectin that can pass through the intestinal barrier so it can work systemically. MCP can bind to and facilitate excretion of low levels of heavy metals that commonly come from mild environmental exposure. A recent study indicates that modified citrus pectin promotes healthy urinary excretion of common, mild environmental exposures of heavy metals such as mercury, arsenic, cadmium, lead and tin without altering excretion of other nutritional minerals, including calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and selenium. In addition, MCP has been shown to support healthy cellular growth and reproduction.