• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone taking/taken Valtrex?

I've had CFS for about 10 years but the last 3 have been very bad. I've had to quit my long term career. So, I found online a Dr in Michigan that suggests if there is Epstein Barr present to take 1 gram of Valtrex up to 4 times a day. My blood test results show the Epstein Barr virus in my system. I started taking the Valtrex on August 5th but it became apparent my system was in overload. The 2nd week I took half doses and then resumed on the 3rd. For the last few days I've been as sick as ever. I'm very weak, have horrible brain fog and just recently have a sore throat. I'm wired terribly and have a hard time relaxing. According to the information I read there is a period where you feel worse before you feel better but this is terrible! Supposedly after 6 weeks you start to improve. I'm down now to 2 tablets a day and barely tolerate them. It even seems I continue to worsen though I'm taking much less medicine. Has anyone else experienced similar responses? Thanks so much.

ukxmrv

I didn't have a "worse before you get better" period but then again I've never taken more than 2 x 1gram per day. I'm been really lucky as the Valtrex was of benefit to me from the start with a decrease in viral symptoms and the hot burning I was getting at night.

Is your Valtrex the original or a generic one?

Was the EBV in your system a current or old infection do you know?

Jenny

Hi Ncguy

There are dozens of threads on here about people's experiences of Valtrex and valacyclovir. You might want to do a search using the search facility.

It did nothing for me, good or bad, even at quite high doses.

vamah

You should talk to your doctor about switching medications. There are medicines that are effective against ebv that are easier to tolerate, such as acyclovir. If you have other viral infections, like cmv or hhv6, you may need the stronger drug.