• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anyone take Curcumin or NAC?

camas

I took Metagenics UltraInflamX for almost a decade. It was primarily curcumin and eased my allergies and FM pain. After taking it for so long, I eventually developed an allergy to curcumin. Story of my life. :rolleyes:

leaves

I took curcumin but stopped it beceause of oxalates. I take nac 600 mg time release jarrow, it helps me but be sure to take molybdenium also.

Sue,
I have been taking longvida optimized curcumnin fot three weeks with excellent results......(I have had cfs since 1987 and xmrv+).... two weeks ago I added one Effervescent N-Acetylcysteine 900 mg found it did give me more energy, but I developed flu symptoms. Keep us posted on your results.

Tom

windows exterminator
Enhansa is more absorbable curcumin , been taking it for 3.5 months with good results, see also enhansa for autism.
BTW I have M.E

Tm

Stone

I've been trying some "Curamin" from Teitelbaum's web site, vitality101. It's supposed to be a strong formulation but I did not research the strength of other brands and just took their word for it. I have severe chronic pain so it's hard to tell for sure but I think it does seem to help some when I can remember to take it and so far I have not had any adverse reactions to it which is saying something since many meds and suppliments don't agree with me. I hope it works for you.

leaves

Nac can build up cysteine, when your sulphation system is impaired ( as it often is) this can cause trouble. Molybdenum helps to process the cysteine.

Rosemary

I've also looked into why curcumin helps with Alzheimers Disease and it helps to reduce amyloid

FYI Quote
"Alzheimer's disease (AD) involves amyloid β (Aβ) accumulation, oxidative damage, and inflammation, and risk is reduced with increased antioxidant and anti-inflammatory consumption.
The phenolic yellow curry pigment curcumin has potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities and can suppress oxidative damage, inflammation, cognitive deficits, and amyloid accumulation."

http://www.jbc.org/content/280/7/5892.long#sec-2
Curcumin Inhibits Formation of Amyloid β Oligomers and Fibrils, Binds Plaques, and Reduces Amyloid in Vivo*

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

Leaves what does molybdenium do?

Helps metabolise Iron and thus boost haemoglobin levels meaning higher oxygen levels.
Helps aid carbohydrate metabolism, which should then decrease putting on adipose tissue (fat)
Linked to Vitamin C

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

I've also looked into why curcumin helps with Alzheimers Disease and it helps to reduce amyloid

Hi Rosemary, if you're interested in Amyloid I remember Cort wrote an excellent article on this very website involving just this, that you may wish to read.

http://aboutmecfs.org/News/BrainProteomeMar10.aspx

This caught my eye in the article linked above, regarding your interest in Alzheimer's.

The types of amyloid proteins Dr. Baraniuk found in chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) patients are unique to the brain. These same general types of proteins are also found in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Down’s syndrome.

Rosemary

Hi Rosemary, if you're interested in Amyloid I remember Cort wrote an excellent article on this very website involving just this, that you may wish to read.

http://aboutmecfs.org/News/BrainProteomeMar10.aspx

This caught my eye in the article linked above, regarding your interest in Alzheimer's.

Yes thank you I am interested in amyloid proteins and amyloid formation and I shall look forward to reading Cort's article

I just had a quick read about the theory about low carnosine levels in CFS and I am not sure if this has been discussed before on the forum but it is interesting to note that L-Carnosine was found to be beneficial to children with autism spectrum disorders and/or epilepsy

" Low carnosine levels could, then, conceivably contribute in increased oxidative stress and hormonal problems seen in ME/CFS."

CNDP1 (carnosine dipeptidase) degrades carnosine, an amino acid that’s highly concentrated in brain and muscle tissues. Carnosine has a number of different functions; it’s a free radical scavenger and increases corticosterone levels and reduces glycolysis. Corticosterone is an intermediate in the steroid pathway from pregnenalone to aldosterone – an interesting finding given the hormonal questions regarding ME/CFS. Presumably the version of the gene Dr. Baraniuk has found is more active than usual at degrading carnosine and thus could lead to reduced carnosine levels. Low carnosine levels could, then, conceivably contribute in increased oxidative stress and hormonal problems seen in ME/CFS. This, of course, is just a theory and is very preliminary at this point.

Use of L-Carnosine in autism

Use of L-Carnosine in autism was pioneered by Dr. Michael Chez, a pediatric neurologist from Chicago. Dr. Chez theorized that L-Carnosine stimulates the front areas of the brain, providing increased activity, leading to overall improvements in level of functioning. More and more research shows that the frontal lobes and temporal lobes in the brain control emotion, epileptic activity, cognitive, expressive speech, and abstract thinking. It also rejuvinates old, dying cells restoring them to youthful appearance - hence it is a key anti-aging supplement as well.

Carnosine, Autism, and Seizure Disorders

In a double-blind study conducted by Dr. Chez, L-Carnosine was found to be beneficial to children with autism spectrum disorders and/or epilepsy. Participants in the clinical trial who were given L-Carnosine experienced significant improvements compared to those taking a placebo in the following areas: language, auditory processing socialization, awareness of surroundings, fine motor planning and expressive language. Improvements were observed between 1-8 weeks into treatment, with a 90 percent success rate.

Participants taking L-Carnosine showed improved behavior and communication by 16 percent and social interaction improved by 27 percent! In just four weeks, parents reported an overall improvement that more than doubled through the length of the study. To view a summary of the clinical trial, please click here.

Dr. Chez also theorized that all autistic children are dyslexic and that distortion of sensory input (touch, taste, hearing, sight) that autistic children experience are forms of dyslexia. We have anecdotal evidence from customers of all ages that their dyslexia improves or completely disappears when they supplement with Carnosine, including a young lady whose handwriting, reading skills, and grades dramatically improved in after taking Liquid Carnosine Plus over a two-month period. Dr. Chez's study also showed the reading ability took a leap when taking Carnosine.

For more information on Carnosine research related to Dyslexia and other conditions, please click here.
http://autismcoach.com/Carnosine - Liquid.htm

SaraM

I used Life Extension super bio curcumin for a few days to ease the muscle pain. It did absolutely nothing for me. It smells and looks exactly like the turmeric I use in cooking.

C

Cloud

I use both Curcumin and NAC. Neither produces any noticeable short term results...but then I wouldn't expect them to. I use Jarrow.

klutzo

I took NAC for a couple of years with no noticeable effects, so I stopped after reading it could allow mercury to pass into my brain.

Curcumin helps reduce my Fibro pain, and has worked miracles for my husband, who has a regional pain syndrome from doing hard physical work all his life. Curcumin enabled him to cut his narcotics in half after only one week, and that has continued for 3 months now. We use Jarrow brand, 500 mgs. daily.

klutzo