• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone noticed a link to ability to focus your eyes?

Hello Cat65,

I never have my clients use a B complex. I go by a person or dogs hair test to know which B vitamins and how much of each I need to suggest. Much depends on what a person eats and drinks, any supplements/medications they take, if they consume alcoholic beverages, if they smoke, how much they exercise and how much mental stress they are under; so a complete history is asked as well. Then a custom supplement program is designed.

If you have been tested by a doctor as low B2, then you have a confirmed diagnosis and knowledge that you need to replace months worth of lost stores. This can only be accomplished by taking small doses of B2 throughout the day and sometimes it is even needed during the night if a person is suffering from night sweats on the hour, every hour. Low B2 usually causes low levels of RBC's and low hemoglobin, so additional B12 will usually be needed once you start B2. This is because you will quite quickly start making lots more RBC's and they require B12 for hemoglobin production. B2 deficiency leads to low storage levels of B12 in the liver. Your body normally produces 5 million RBC's per second!

B2 is the only B vitamins that is somewhat water and fat soluble. A B2 taken on an empty stomach may only offer 15% absorption. A B2 taken with alittle food like a small piece of unenriched (no calcium, vitamin A or D) cheese or a swallow of whole milk (no added D - Organic Valley) can increase it's absorption to as much as 60%. I also suggest Annies White Cheddar Bunny crackers because they contain yeast and cheese with alittle fat - all things B2 likes. The wheat flour is also not enriched with iron, niacin, thiamine or folic acid or soy - several things B2 does not like.

You may observe if you need more B12 because your mouth mucus membranes or tongue can get sore and you can feel even more tired - which probably seems nearly impossible at this point. Initially B2 normally brings much needed energy, but if you also need additional B12 (especially if you do not eat much red meat) - this is when you could feel tired again. You can also feel tingling sensations in your legs or hands. The stool can be peanut butter colored instead of dark brown and the urine can get very light instead of dark lemon colored. This is due to lack of the RBC's breakdown pigment called bilirubin which causes these colors. So try to observe these factors when correcting your B2 deficiency.

Thanks for the answer. I have a low b12 but I don't think my b2 has ever been tested. Recently (the last year) I have had blood test (CBC) and my WBC and RBC have been below normal range. Maybe the reason is low b2. The doctor was not concerned. I was though. 3.2 seems low for WBC for no reason.