The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone know of a natural selective Histamine 2 receptor blocker?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by vision blue, Jan 10, 2019.

1. vision blue

vision blue Senior Member

I'd like to block histamine 2, but avoid blocking histamine 1. when i block H1, i get heart palpitationons and rises in BP. I have tried pepcid but it gives me a stomach ache and I cannot try tagamet since supresses mao-a further. I also checked the 3rd one people talk about, but it has ingredients it can't have. I then looked into the mast cell stabalizer keto....but it also blocks histamine 1 and i believe cromylyn sodisum also blocks H1.

when i look for natural alternatives to pharma, i see a bunch on classic histamine (H1) and on mast cells (like taking quercitan) but nothing on H2.

Just feel like if i can find that, perhaps i can tolerate more foods. And that in turn will help me gain much needed weight (can't stop losing). Pehraps part of a plan to try to heal gut as one arm of this octopus beast.

Thanks.

2. nandixon

nandixon Senior Member

Can you give a link to your reference for that? Thanks.

3. vision blue

vision blue Senior Member

Try the book Enteroimmunology by Charles A. Lewis.

Were you thinking about tagamet inhibiting cytochrome p 450? its not unrelatedt. Anyone with amine senstitivty should avoid tagamet.

Do you have an amine sensitivity? Can you please elaborate on what kind you have? or if you have another reason for avoiding mao-a inhibitors, please describe those. Thanks.

Also, any H2 blocker you can recommend? Thanks

4. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how can you determine if the Cardiac and BP reactions are part of the histamine surge itself (from food or other triggers) vs. from the H1 blocker?

I'm not sure by "3rd one" you mean Zantac, but if so, you can get Zantac made at a compounding pharmacy without any dyes or fillers. The H2 blocker that worked best for me was Pepcid (which I know you said did not work for you) but when I used to post on the Mast Cell boards, it seemed evenly split between those who took Pepcid and those who took Zantac (as their H2 blocker).

You are correct that both Ketotefin and Cromolyn (Gastrochrom) are H1 blockers in addition to mast cell stabilizers. Are your MCAS symptoms exclusively GI symptoms or do you also get H1 reactions?

zzz likes this.
  5. nandixon

nandixon Senior Member

I don't see any mention in that book that cimetidine inhibits MAO-A. I'm guessing that perhaps you saw the following study which found that cimetidine reduced the clearance of moclobemide and inadvertently thought it was saying that cimetidine inhibits MAO-A(?):

Cimetidine alters the disposition kinetics of the monoamine oxidase-A inhibitor moclobemide

I was asking about it because I'm a former medicinal chemist and cimetidine, at a low dose (50mg twice a day), is one of the very few things that has significantly helped my ME/CFS on a long term basis (in 20 years of trying different supplements and drugs).

I researched cimetidine (Tagamet) extensively a few years ago to try to determine why it was having a positive effect, because the effect is definitely not related to its histamine H2 receptor blocking ability, since neither famotidine (Pepcid) nor ranitidine (Zantac) have any positive effect for me.

My best guess, because of the low dose I'm using it at, is that cimetidine may be acting in an immunomodulatory way per this study.

Note that there is one obscure 1987 reference for which neither an abstract nor fulltext is readily available titled, “MAOI-like reaction associated with cimetidine.” I'm guessing that was actually some sort of drug-drug interaction that was found.

I haven't come across any herbal type supplements that have a selective H2 blocking ability.

Good luck.

Gingergrrl likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.