• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anyone know an herb to reduce adrenaline?

Aerose91

I'm not talking anxiety, I'm talking adrenaline. The high amounts of adrenaline are most of the reason I stay up at night. My doctor gave me Prazosin and it was working fine but recently I randomly started having paradoxical effects from it and it's been giving me panic attacks.

I can take Theanine and Valerian and passion flower and all that stuff and it's decent as a calming herb but I need something that has nothing to do with mood, just ADRENALINE!

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
My experience with trying to control cortisol using supplements such as Phosphatidylserine, Theanine, Ashwagandha, Holy Basil and Relora (magnolia bark) is that they all seem to work fine, for a brief period of time, and then they will suddenly stop being effective.

I think the real root of problem, with high adrenaline and cortisol, is that they are often caused by a reaction to histamine, which in turn, is a reaction to chronic inflammation. From what I understand, high histamine with send your adrenal system into overload. I believe that trying to control cortisol or adrenaline, with supplements, is too far downstream from the root cause to be effective, hence why such supplements tend to fail in a very brief period of time.

I'm now of the opinion that inflammation is a major factor in most CFS symptoms. I think years of chronic inflammation will completely disrupt our bodies on a cellular level.

I think the best approach is to start first on a low histamine Paleo type diet, focusing anti-inflammatory foods and supplements, before moving on to other modalities. This is currently what I'm doing and although I can't say that I've made dramatic improvement, I have made improvements nonetheless.

I think that decades of poisoning our bodies with toxic food cannot just get reversed overnight. As Amy Yasko says, "it's not a sprint, it's a marathon!"

Aerose91

I believe you have a good point but my diet has been low histamine, anti inflammatory Paleo for at least a decade before ever getting ME. I'm a nutritionist and personal trainer so I always was up on my diet. Still, despite this, I still have terrible amounts.if adrenaline but my cortisol is low- I have adrenal fatigue which is partly what led me to ME

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Yeah, adrenal and cortisol issues have always proven very elusive for me to figure out. There are various approaches to dealing with high adrenaline but I'm hard pressed to think of anything worth recommending as I've never found any of them to be very effective in the long term.

I am very interested in herbs for this too. I have a recollection of seeing posts with information on what helped break the cycle. I will do some searching.

Martial

Tumeric, and NeuroProtek, alongside some adrenal supportive supplements, and chinese skullcap root or Motherwart is good for calming down the CNS system.. Ashwaganda or Ciniese skullcap can be taken before bed to help with sleep as well.

Helen

@Aerose91 ,
I can´t answer your question, but I would add as I haven´t seen this mentioned in the thread, that COMT mutations causes an impaired ability to break down adrenaline. Earlier I tried to find an antidote to adrenaline but could only find physical activity as one :(. I do hope there will be something better to treat this enzyme defect.

Mij

@Aerose91 look into adaptogenic herbs. Cordyceps, Ashwaghanda and Rhodiola. I took Adreset years ago rec'd by my integrative doctor. Of course make sure you are able to take this with the one your doctor has you on.

Last edited:

Ema

Kava Kava and St John's Wort, possibly.

What about a low dose beta blocker, instead of an alpha blocker?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
My NP suggested Glycine but I haven't noticed much of a difference. I do take Propranolol but that doesn't seem to calm me down that much.

@Mij I can't take any Ayervedic herbs. All give me a slamming headache.

adreno

PR activist
Prazosin inhibits noradrenaline (norepinephrine), not adrenaline (epinephrine).

A herb that inhibits norepinephrine (NE) is Olive Leaf Extract. It does this by enhancing the NE transporter, causing a higher reuptake of the neurotransmitter.

Cortisol keeps NE balanced, so taking anything that reduces cortisol might make the symptoms worse.

Serotonin inhibits NE, so anything increasing that should help.

GABA also inhibits NE, but is harder to increase.

Last edited:

Aerose91

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Even though my cortisol levels are better now than they have been they are still rather low which I know is part of the reason for higher adrenaline. I used to take adrenal adaptogens like ashwaganda but was taken off those when the ME hit because of my sensitivity to everything.

@adreno that's interesting info, thank you. Theanine tends to help the anxiety and stuff from the GABA increase but doesn't seem to help the discomfort from the adrenaline. I'll try some olive leaf extract, I know I've heard of that before.

@Helen. I am a COMT +/- so I look forward to figuring out a way to take care of that.

One thing I have tried is dessicated adrenal for mending adrenal glands. It helps but you are not supposed to take it every day. I had found an article that seemed well informed so I trusted the writer, and she said you pick if you are going to take 5 days of a higher amount, then take at least 20? days off, or take lower amounts for longer.

I still have not healed mine but it gives 5 days of some relief and I think it lets them heal a little. There were some other things recommended to take along with the dessicated adrenal. Sorry I don't have all the details.

So that's the best way to handle adrenals, in my opinion, but I believe we also need to do things to get our cortisol in check. Most of us seem to have high cortisol too late in the evening or night, instead of the normal peak during the day.

This is a thread I never made enough time to read all. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...tisol-and-feeling-drastically-improved.12837/

COMT mutations causes an impaired ability to break down adrenaline. Earlier I tried to find an antidote to adrenaline but could only find physical activity as one :(.

Good to know. I have a heterozygous mutation with COMT. I feel better from exercise -- and worse :bang-head:

Aromatherapy helps me a little. There are double-blind studies proving that lavender essential oil will activate your parasympathetic nervous system. It does switch me from the wired "flight or fight" feeling to a more relaxed state. It only goes so far but I find it helpful when I need something quickly.

Does anyone have any new information about an herb or supplement that can quiet adrenal glands? Mine are on another roll in the last several weeks, and I would love the power to calm them. Thank you in advance....

Aerose91

One thing I notice is that I get way lower blood sugar than I thought. The best way I have found to keep my adrenals stable is to eat a substantive meal no less than 3 times per day. More if necessary. No herb or electrolyte drink can compensate for not eating

hapl808

Yeah, I'm pretty sure adrenaline is what makes me feel 'good' when I'm working or doing something social, but therefore also leads to awful crashes. So I try to avoid anything stimulating.

cfs since 1998

Does anyone have any new information about an herb or supplement that can quiet adrenal glands? Mine are on another roll in the last several weeks, and I would love the power to calm them. Thank you in advance....
Both holy basil and Seriphos worked for me, about equal in effectiveness. However, there is a rebound effect when it wears off, after about 4 hours you have to take more.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I don't know if it reduces adrenaline but cordyceps make me feel calm. I just open a capsule and put a little in my coffee once in a while.