• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone in the Pridgen/Duffy study? Positive results emerging

alex3619

Hi Alex,

The article touts the new treatment as a possible cure. So I've also referred to it as this. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tuscaloosa News

Tuscaloosa biotech company could be on verge of finding a cure,treatment for fibromyalgia

My intent is to make people aware that what the researchers are claiming and the media is reporting are different.

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering

SOC

Video of Pridgen:

http://up.anv.bz/latest/anvload.html?key=eyJtIjoiTElOIiwicCI6ImRlZmF1bHQiLCJ2IjoiMjQ4MDE1In0=

Quoted from video:

“There’s two medicines that hit the viruses in three different ways that actually will put the viruses to sleep, and then sort of miraculously, after a while, their body just sort of goes back to the way it was supposed to be,” said Dr. Skip Pridgen, the CEO of Innovative Med Concepts.
That is a very unscientific way for a researcher to speak about his research. o_O Maybe he thinks he's talking to people with the intellectual ability of a 4th grader with his "put the viruses to sleep", "sort of miraculously", and "the way it was supposed to be". Hopefully there is more scientific information in the video. Sadly, my computer won't play the video, so I'm stuck with these rather odd bits of transcript.

That said, I'm hoping this is good, sound research that results in a useful treatment for many of us. :D

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
That is a very unscientific way for a researcher to speak about his research. o_O Maybe he thinks he's talking to people with the intellectual ability of a 4th grader with his "put the viruses to sleep", "sort of miraculously", and "the way it was supposed to be". Hopefully there is more scientific information in the video. Sadly, my computer won't play the video, so I'm stuck with these rather odd bits of transcript.

That said, I'm hoping this is good, sound research that results in a useful treatment for many of us. :D

Although I do agree that his explanation into how his treatment works is very simplistic, you must remember who he is addressing.

People with sever, chronic cognitive dysfunction...

SOC

This ought to help...
Thanks, Ema. That helped....some. I got about 17 seconds into the video and then not only the video, but my entire computer froze. o_O My computer hates videos. Someday I'm going to get a new one. :cautious:

Ema

Thanks, Ema. That helped....some. I got about 17 seconds into the video and then not only the video, but my entire computer froze. o_O My computer hates videos. Someday I'm going to get a new one. :cautious:
Well, it was just a tiny clip from the local news station.

But I daresay 4th grade audience might be aiming just a wee bit high...

liquid sky

Sounds very exciting to me! I think when he speaks of putting the viruses to sleep, he means putting them in a dormant state. Normally, people can hold HSV dormant, but there is something wrong with the immune system of a of of people or HSV is not what it used to be.

SOC

Although I do agree that his explanation into how his treatment works is very simplistic, you must remember who he is addressing.

Yes, but as anyone can see by reading PR, severe cognitive dysfunction doesn't stop us from understanding basic science. We may process slowly, but we're not children, and we're not stupid.

SOC

Sounds very exciting to me! I think when he speaks of putting the viruses to sleep, he means putting them in a dormant state. Normally, people can hold HSV dormant, but there is something wrong with the immune system of a of of people or HSV is not what it used to be.
He probably is referring to viral latency, but most of us understand about that and don't need to be told the virus is "going to sleep". :rolleyes: And scientists don't usually describe the results of their work as "miraculous".

I suppose he's using marketing language instead of scientific language. Advertising tends to aim at the lowest common denominator and be content-light. We need the science, not the advert. I guess we'll have to wait for the official scientific release for that.

Ema

He's not addressing US in that video...he's addressing the local Tuscaloosa Alabama population in a 1:30 second news clip...a group of people who probably don't even know the difference between a virus and bacteria for the most part.

It's amazing that the local CBS affiliate even covered it, honestly, so let's cut them a break for being simplistic.

Last edited:

Bob

I suppose he's using marketing language instead of scientific language. Advertising tends to aim at the lowest common denominator and be content-light. We need the science, not the advert. I guess we'll have to wait for the official scientific release for that.
Yes, I assumed it was some sort of news item, aimed for people with zero knowledge about science.

Edit. I see that's exactly what it was. I crossed posts with Ema.

liquid sky

I agree he is using simple language. If it works, it really won't matter to me. The proof will be if and when his protocol works. It is pretty simple and the drugs are generic, so it will be available to most folks.

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
Yes, but as anyone can see by reading PR, severe cognitive dysfunction doesn't stop us from understanding basic science. We may process slowly, but we're not children, and we're not stupid.

Completely agree. Was just suggesting reasons for why he used that type of language.

Anyway, we all know not to trust any statement without the relevant scientific backing.

So let's just wait another week before passing judgement.

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
He's not addressing US in that video...he's addressing the local Tuscaloosa Alabama population in a 1:30 second news clip...a group of people who probably don't even know the difference between a virus and a bacteria for the most part.

It's amazing that the local CBS affiliate even covered it, honestly, so let's cut them a break for being simplistic.

Like I said in a previous post, it was just a possible justification for his language. But who else would be interested in watching this except those affected by this disease.

So I'm not exactly sure that it's not addressing us. The reporter also says they've had an overwhelming response from FM sufferers which reminds them why they are doing this in the first place. So they know fully well pwFM are watching.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
He probably is referring to viral latency, but most of us understand about that and don't need to be told the virus is "going to sleep". :rolleyes: And scientists don't usually describe the results of their work as "miraculous".

I "know" Tuscaloosa--this is the Bible belt and this is "lite medical news" for the masses. Talk of "miracles"is part of the everyday coin of the realm in this area. That may be the local version of scientific language! (Sorry any Alabamians--I used to be one too!) ;)

Sushi